Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest campsite

Default Forest campsite

A forest campsite! I think I'm just gonna stick with the cartoony style of map objects for a while.

Critique is most appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encounter_a_1_by_bradenhallett-dahgqz4.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	966.0 KB 
ID:	87514

That looks wonderful! What a great style.
    I'm wondering if it might look better if the ground was green? Or is that some certain type of grass that's supposed to be pale?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Very nice, well done!

That's very nice line quality that you have there. Would you be willing to share any information about your tools and technique?

I agree with Waldronate. The smoothness and variation of line-width is very well done. The shading is great as well. It's an excellent exemplar of a cartoon style map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That looks wonderful! What a great style.
    I'm wondering if it might look better if the ground was green? Or is that some certain type of grass that's supposed to be pale?
    It would probably look better if the grass were a bit greener, yes. I'm used to looking at the wild grass around my house which is that pale shade of desert khaki.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very nice, well done!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    That's very nice line quality that you have there. Would you be willing to share any information about your tools and technique?
    Thank you! Line quality is one of those things I find easy.

I use Corel Painter, and the only tool I use for inking is the scratchboard tool. I set the damping up to 85% or so to keep the line extra smooth (it also forces me to slow down and make nice and fluid strokes).

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I agree with Waldronate. The smoothness and variation of line-width is very well done. The shading is great as well. It's an excellent exemplar of a cartoon style map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by - Max -; 09-12-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Merging multiple posts

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joeyballast View Post
    A forest campsite! I think I'm just gonna stick with the cartoony style of map objects for a while.

Critique is most appreciated!
    Great little map, very crisp and clean lines. Perhaps a little bit more shading for the trees, to differentiate the levels, and not so sure about the ground cover, is it supposed to be like long grass or light colored?

-darcycardinal
    Fabled Maps Cartography - Facebook Page - Click HERE
    Map Project "New Richmond" - Newest Update 10, Sept 5 - Click HERE
    New Richmond Sketch-update - Newest Update 2, Sept 8 - Click HERE

Very nice map, I love that style you have there!

-Dan

Blog Entries

Thats really superb ! A very refreshing style and well executed. Its the sort of style that I think publishers would take to. If not specifically RPG maps which seem to like a lot of fiddly detail then most certainly board games book illustrations and similar. It reminds me of Asterix ! And I always did admire that artwork by Uderzo.

Quote Originally Posted by darcycardinal View Post
    Great little map, very crisp and clean lines. Perhaps a little bit more shading for the trees, to differentiate the levels, and not so sure about the ground cover, is it supposed to be like long grass or light colored?

-darcycardinal
    More shading for the trees is a good idea. Next time I'll do a little more work to shade things properly before the copy pasting.

The ground cover is supposed to be a general long grass/scrub. I agree that it could use some work. A greener color and a darker value, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Very nice map, I love that style you have there!

-Dan
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Thats really superb ! A very refreshing style and well executed. Its the sort of style that I think publishers would take to. If not specifically RPG maps which seem to like a lot of fiddly detail then most certainly board games book illustrations and similar. It reminds me of Asterix ! And I always did admire that artwork by Uderzo.
    Thanks very much! I'm hoping, with time, to fit more fiddly detail in to make things more RPG map friendly.
    Last edited by - Max -; 09-12-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Merging multiple posts ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast