Thread: The village of Minol

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map The village of Minol

Hello !

This is the second map from a part of the world of Nossym... The world where the stories of Chloe takes place.

My wife just finished her second book about this young girl (unpublished), and here's the village where the whole story starts.

Minol, a little village of peasants, south of a huge forest.

Two years ago, I've made a map of this village with CC3, but I decided to do it again, after having discover the guild and having seen all these fantastic maps (the WIP thread is here)

I tried new techniques, I'm not sure I've mastered them... but here is the final work :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minol guild.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	9.11 MB 
ID:	87748

Wonderful little village. I love the warm colors and crisp line work ! The color palette makes me thing of a late summer afternoon, I'd love to see this map with longer shadows some day

Thanks Thomrey !

You helped me with good advices for this map !
    It's always good to read from you !

This turned out beautifully, and my initial concerns about the too-orange shadows were completely unfounded! I absolutely adore that bottom illustration. The whole map is so full of charm and I'd love to visit.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very nice village Jo! I like how you did the grass, the numerous details, the superb dragons and the fantastic view.
    A couple of nitpicks... I would prefer (matter of taste only) a clear line around the buildings and I would have "blend" the frame with the paper texture.

I really like this, and here's why. It looks like you spent time looking at real villages and giving thought to why things are the way they are.

Sometimes i see maps of cities and towns, where everything is to close, the building placement don't quite make sense. Things are a little too neat.

It has a natural organic feeling too it, much how people do things.

Wonderful, just wonderful! The illustrations and the decorative border really make the piece come together. I really like it, JO! Keep it up

Can't rep you at this point, I'm sad to say...

Absolutely wonderful! You pulled this off excellently. It really reminds me of J. Edwards 'Haerlech'.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wow, incredible! I love everything about this, the colors, the perspective, the dragons and other illustrations, the borders. Absolutely beautiful!

And it may or may not be on purpose, but the farm lines go through the border on the bottom right of the bottom map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This turned out beautifully, and my initial concerns about the too-orange shadows were completely unfounded! I absolutely adore that bottom illustration. The whole map is so full of charm and I'd love to visit.
    Thanks ChickPea !
    I was trying to use the technique of J. Roberts... and at first, I was surprised by the orange shadows too (it's the result of a layer used in "overlay" as blending mode). As a matter of fact, I'm quite surprised by the colors : I expected more plain colors, but I went with it, and at the end, I was used to...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice village Jo! I like how you did the grass, the numerous details, the superb dragons and the fantastic view.
    A couple of nitpicks... I would prefer (matter of taste only) a clear line around the buildings and I would have "blend" the frame with the paper texture.
    Thanks a lot for your message !
    I tried a clear line around the buildings, but it wasn't good... Or I should have put a clear line around everything, and that was not my goal. I kept the line for some buildings (the ones with a wooden roof), but otherwise I made that choice...
    I hear you too about the frame, but I wanted to have a frame which would "pop out" of the drawings and their fainted colors... So I did not blend it with the paper... Again, a matter of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    I really like this, and here's why. It looks like you spent time looking at real villages and giving thought to why things are the way they are.

Sometimes i see maps of cities and towns, where everything is to close, the building placement don't quite make sense. Things are a little too neat.

It has a natural organic feeling too it, much how people do things.
    Thanks TimPaul !
    It's true that every time I draw a map, I ask myself if each element is logical (?). Sometimes, some details pass out my attention, but I always try to think how each element would be in real life, why would someone build this here, etc. I'm not sure I get all the good answers each time, but I try... And it's even more difficult with the elements you forget to draw... Because you don't see it...
    (For example, in Minol, I see now that I would have had to put more fountain or watering places... One fountain for the whole village seems a bit ... dry)
    Anyway thanks for your comments, it helps me going on !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Wonderful, just wonderful! The illustrations and the decorative border really make the piece come together. I really like it, JO! Keep it up

Can't rep you at this point, I'm sad to say...
    Thanks Kelleri !
    No problem with the rep...
    I hope you have time to work on a new project ? I went back to your album, and your maps are looking so good, that I'm looking forward to see another one !

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Absolutely wonderful! You pulled this off excellently. It really reminds me of J. Edwards 'Haerlech'.
    Thanks so much for your compliment !
    And I surely don't deserve the reference to J. Edwards !!! I absolutely love his works... and it's true that I've been looking to his village of Sagemound as an inspiration to this map... But I'm so far from his work...
    Anyway, I'll keep trying to learn from him !

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew VE View Post
    Wow, incredible! I love everything about this, the colors, the perspective, the dragons and other illustrations, the borders. Absolutely beautiful!

And it may or may not be on purpose, but the farm lines go through the border on the bottom right of the bottom map.

Thanks Matthew !
    All the pieces that goes through the border are on purpose... But I agree with you, it's looking better with traces of green that with the farm lines !
    Anyway, I'm really glad that you like this map !