Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Conworld Project

Thank you, you are very right Pixie! I just did some polar coordinates and there's a lot of problems with this tectonic map. None of the subduction zones in the north make sense, and the one in the south reverses itself. Any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2048x1024-Tec3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	100481

Name:	2048x1024-Tec3_PC2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	100482

[EDIT] I think I may have solved the problems. Any opinions?
    Ignore the black arrow lengths, I haven't done any speed of spread calculations.
    Also going to push that northern convergent boundary further north into the middle of the landmass.

Name:	2048x1024-Tec_edit.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	100486

Name:	2048x1024-Tec_edit_PC.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	100487
    Last edited by LordIndy; 10-23-2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Update, avoiding double posting

Yes, one little suggestion:

If you are going to distort into polar coordinates using GIMP, divide the map in northern and southern hemispheres, save as two separate files and distort each one. Works much better, try it out .

Also, have a read at the tutorial Warlin is starting over at the tutorials forum - it might become handy.

Thanks for the suggestion, thats a really good idea I hadn't thought of! I actually use G.Projector and various other 3D software for finished projection/directional maps/images; polar coordinates was just a quick way to export some samples.

I actually saw his tutorial the other day. It is very interesting and mathematical. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be using it in this project since the terrain is fractal and I don't really plan to go that far back or forward in time.

Great work lordIndy ! I hope I will be able to develop my own conworld project to the same degre of precision than yours. Your sci-fi approach is really appealing. For tectonics, I agree with you, it's an hard decision to take with all your continental mass allready drawn.
    Keeping an eye on your progress.
    Cheers.

It's been awhile again, but another project motivated me to come back to this one again.

Second planet completed. Tidal locked planet covered with shallow seas. Supposed to be earth-like circa >1bya. Low/no oxygen atmosphere with large amount of suspended iron particulates in the water which result in greenish sea regions/swirls (yes I take the side of the chemists who say green and not the geologists who say pink). Land is largely covered in bacterial/algae mats as early life has spread inward.

Name:	2048x2489-P2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	958.0 KB 
ID:	112549
    Local stellar system diagram updated with second planet; roughing out a poster format at the moment.

Name:	1536x1024-Stellar_Poster.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	112550

I have several other commitments, but some work will continue in the immediate future; although it'll probably be more written/theoretical stuff unless i do some historical/pre-historical "world" maps.
    Last edited by LordIndy; 01-09-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Some workflow

Name:	3000x3000 StellarWorkflow.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	113394

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12