Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sketch 1: My dear Arramatapo...

My only concern is that with Genetica if you use the 'legacy presets' they download on the spot. I guess that means I will have to open each one (there are hundreds of them) and save a file with each of the reference images, just to be sure I don't loose the resource if and when the site goes down. That will take me a couple of days to fit around everything else.

LOL I'm starting to feel tired just thinking about it.

Another update... Organised the land on the left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arramatapo sketch 06.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	88238

Looks awesome so far! Keep up the great work!

Thanks Matthew

Its a long way from finished yet, and there are a few technical issues to sort out before I really get going.

Latest update: After a nightmare with colour I remembered the very important lesson I learned from Neyjour about restricting the palette and applied it. I also removed the over-detailed drawing of the dragons head and moved that side around a bit to make more room for map, over illustration. Having said that, I will probably be filling most of the bottom panel with a (badly) hand drawn green dragon - it being an otherwise featureless plain.

Name:	Arramatapo sketch 07.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	88245

Although the colours are better than they were before, I'm not convinced that I have them completely right just yet, and I'm still trying to work out how to make the ink washes more... imperfect than they are.

C&C welcome

That's coming along really nicely, Mouse.

Thanks Chashio

I've been doing a lot of thinking about a couple of comments I got back over at the Profantasy forum (home forum for CC3 users), and will probably redraw with just a single colour.

The circumstances in which Arramatapo's father finds himself mean that its a bit far fetched for him to have a full set of inks and sufficient light and peace to create much more than a rough line map - and I agree.

Never mind restricted palettes, this map is about to go sepia (since I understand that the majority of old inks were in fact very dark brown, not black)

After a longish discussion on the Profantasy forum that went all over the place in a very interesting fashion and ranged from parchment versus paper to the monks of Lindisfarne and Tempera (pigment ground into egg white)... I have started again with this map.

Bearing in mind the poor fellow's circumstances he is unlikely to have much more than his journal and a single tiny pot of ink, which he might dilute with some of the rainwater from the pool I mentioned before to make a crude brown wash. He certainly won't have time to draw all the tiny details, but there are certain things he will want to warn his son about, like bears, and wolves He certainly won't be too concerned about tidiness, as long as it conveys the message...

Name:	Arramatapo sketch 08.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	88254
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-05-2016 at 11:04 PM.

This map is rapidly becoming a complete mish-mash of styles, but I guess that's the way a panicked and desperate man who is trapped in a small recess at the back of a dragon's lair might draw it.

Name:	Arramatapo sketch 09.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	88273

VERSION 02

A quickie created by deleting quite a lot of the hand drawn stuff and replacing it with standard colour variable symbols from the CC3+ Herwin Wielink style - my favourite CC3+ style

More versions to follow over the next few days, but this is probably the most hybrid version, combining hand drawn lines and features (the ravine and bridge are mine), home made textures (mine), and standard symbols - CC3+.

Name:	Arramatapo sketch 10.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	88289

Ok. Tell me whether you prefer Version 01 (previous post), or Version 02 so far

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast