Thread: Hello from the midwest!

Post Hello from the midwest!

Hi there!

My name is Meg, and I'm in a part of the USA that's unbearably hot. To beat the heat, I drink a lot of hard cider and listen to music while hanging out near the air conditioner.

I'm new to the Cartographer's Guild... and, well, cartography in general. Although I love web & graphic design work, and spend more time in Photoshop than should be allowed, I'm not really artistically inclined. I've recently fallen into this rabbithole because I'm starting my very own D&D campaign, and of course I had to make a custom world from scratch, so I need maps. This will be the first game I've ever run as a GM, and I'm pretty excited about it!

I've been using resources from this forum while working on my world map, and finally figured I would register and say hi. So, hi, and thank you everyone for sharing your tutorials, resources, and awe-inspiring creations!

Thanks,
    Meg

Hello Meg

Welcome to the Guild!

I look forward to seeing something of your first map

Hey Meg and welcome to the Guild
    I'm right there with ya on spending entirely too much time in PS

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hi Meg, and welcome! I came from a design background as well, and it's been great adapting that experience (and sometimes unlearning it) for making maps. I would say that too much time in Photoshop is an oxymoron I might be a little defensive about such things

Post some maps, this guild is soooo friendly!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

@Mouse, I was absolutely definitely going to post my WIP... then I browsed some of the finished maps here and lost my nerve. Seriously, there's so much talent in this guild! So until I can share something without dying of shame, I'll just hold onto it for a little while longer. xD

@J.Edward, your map for Haerlech is gorgeous and awe-inspiring! I was admiring it last night and again this morning. Thanks for saying hi, I'm touched!

@Meshon, I know what you mean, haha. I'm glad there isn't a rehab for Photoshop, they'd have to pry my subscription from my cold dead fingers. And thank you! I get the feeling you're right about the guild being friendly, which is why I absolutely positively 100% cannot post my WIP map. People will probably say, "good job!," and, "keep it up!," when they really mean, "oh, that poor noob." I'll be using your cobblestone street tutorial when I finally get zoomed in to the town level.

Thanks again everyone for the kind welcome!

LOL!!! Trust me Meg. It reeeealy isn't like that here

Still, there's no one can make you do anything you don't want to do, because it definitely isn't like that either

Hey meg, post your map!, just because we're friendly doesn't mean we just say good job, we all start somewhere and we all have been where you are. Lots of people give really good Input, and do it with a smile and sincere interest in helping us each get better, so don't sell yourself short and use these great people for feedback, I bet you'd be happy you did