Thread: Continental Geography and Regions WIP

Wip Continental Geography and Regions WIP

My apologies in advance for what will be a very very crude map by the standards of the fine work of the people in this guild here, but I wanted to make sure that I'm on the right track when it comes to natural features and geography for my overall continent.

First things first, I will admit that the map in question is a tribute to probably the best ever RTS game I ever had, and with the basics covered, I built it up from there. So, if there's any questions about the shape... yeah...

So here is the rough map with no names on it, just to make it easier to see the features themselves:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Map.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	88559

OK, as one may have gathered, it is a Southern Continent. The overall area size is between North America and Africa in size. The planet in question is a little smaller than Earth's.

It is also intended that the central region of the map is meant to be less detailed as compared to the rest of the area, it is relatively unexplored for story purposes, other then knowing that there is just forest and a very large mountain in the centre that serves as a navigational point.

As a guide:
    Brown - Mountains
    Dark Green - Forests,
    Light Green - Temperate Regions
    Dark Yellow - Deserts
    Lighter Yellow - Shrublands
    Pink - Dusty Outback
    Reds - Wet Tropical areas (I'm aware that there does seem to be a little contradiction in regards to one of the areas)
    Purple - Very Windy areas
    Dark Greenish-Blue - Swampland
    Light Blue - Boreal
    White - Tundra

I had decided to do the 10 regions (well, 11, but as noted, the central area is a bit of a mystery to those in the world for various reasons) seperately in order to best understand the geography from a local point, before eventually piecing it together to the larger continent. (Though I do have to admit there is a lack of rivers that go in between countries.)

What I want to know is if I'm on the right track with my geography before I can give it a try making it look more map like? I will admit some work on more realistic coasts and adding islands will need to be done.
    Last edited by BobDaBuilder; 10-17-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Welcome, Bob! As for making this more map-like.... it is already a map! We'll see if we can advise you on making it more pleasing for you, but it is already showing geographical info in graphical form.

You'll note I have a river police badge... think Andy Griffith, not Clint Eastwood :-). Or maybe Colombo, since I always have "now just one more thing I notice here...". So I'll stay in character and offer suggestions on your waterways first. Aaaaand what I'll say first is please read through the great tutorial on How To Get Your Rivers In The Right Place... you have some water doing truly odd things.

Before I can think up any other constructive criticism, I need to know what the dark red signifies - the central mountain and...what else?

Thank you very much.

Ha ha, yes, I have been informed of that one by Caenwyr, and some of the specifics (I'll admit I've gotten a little too happy with river bifurcations), I will certainly take a look at the tutorials to help shape those rivers.

Ah yes, I have noticed that the mountains are of a slightly different colour there. The Dark Red Mountains are meant to be brown as well. Hopefully that helps.