Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Capital of Barradesh

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Many try, and yet - none is able to tell a success-story ;)

Here we go with more baby steps. I outlined the rest of the city and fill in some more stuff and some minor changes with the shape of the land. Some of the stuff is on the key, too. I also included some notes and relocated the long bridge. Here it makes much more sense! Again, all questions (including infos on a particular story) and help is welcome! I made the exported file larger so you can read everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip7.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	6.08 MB 
ID:	89673

Best wishes, Steffen =)
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 11-23-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Those "baby steps" are nice and interesting. The bridge is in rightful place, I suppose. If there are recurrent floods caused by the river, the lands may be very fertile (if it's the sea, it's gonna be the opposite), with maybe crops near the city?.
    And I'm curious about the "Gyre"...

Thank you, Ilanthar! =) The two streams are very large and are freshwater, the sea is saltwater. The streams are slightly elevated, seawater doesn't carry up the streams. At the time the river floods the surroundings the land gets very fertile, you are absolutely correct. Actually the cream-sepia colored patches are farmland.

As for 'The Gyre': A dangerous area where multiple times a year a typhoon forms. This drives monsoon-winds inlands and draws out other winds in a specific way during other times. If forms naturally and getting near this area is generally avoided. Sometimes it is said, that Koryos (the Horned Lion of War, Forces of Nature (including Floods!) / Thunderstorms, the Protector of Mortals, the breaker of both mental and physical restrictions; commonly shown with the markings of a zebra he doesn‘t speak, but only beliefs in deeds) is deciding if the mortals are deserving of his protection - in this critical times, the streams bloom with offers and sacrifices.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Nice landform and development so far. I'm never really a fan of keys, since you have to constently look back and forth, but that's a personal decision.

I think the text could use a little spacing between letters (when you add the stroke the letters touch, especially the bold face)

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Thank you, snodsy! Yeah, the key is preliminary, it's neither finished nor am I sure if I keep it in when I can manage to do it otherwise in the document I will use the map in. Next baby-step should come this week (currently I'm reviewing a lot of the texts) =)
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 11-29-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Oh my... I have been missing out
    I like how this is developing Steffen. Very nice.
    I have to say... really nice flow. The waters look so good

Thank you, J.Edward! Luckily this is a forum where you can always look to the past stuff =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

It's looking great Steffen! It's nice to watch your baby steps and see this map slowly develop.

-Dan

First, I only wanted to describe this city, show what is important there and don't provide a world map at all - I would just describe and get more and more fantastic the more I describe the lands far away. I didn't want to make a world map for myself, but after beginning again and again to make something up I at least saw the need to have a sketch for myself. This is the sketch:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt-1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	99926

Since I don't need to work it out (it won't bee included in the book), I just indicated the most important things, some mountains, some main winds, some cities, rivers, etc. to be at least consistent about that. Yes, the south is colder since this is in the southern hemisphere.

Why am I posting this? Well, I'd love to have some input or suggestions:
    - Is there a way you would see that would make masses / facts more interesting?
    - How would other mountains have to be positioned for the monsoon winds to be correct? Are they? Climatic theory has been a while... :D
    - Any ideas you want to just bring in?

Thank you all!
    -Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 10-08-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

LOL! Oh heck Steffen - you want me to know all the answers?

I don't, as I'm not very good at remembering all the stuff I was taught at school, but I have this little thing in my head right now that keeps trying to tell me that really wet monsoon winds travel some way across a major ocean to pick up all that water before they hit the land.

I'm probably wrong. You need someone like Azelor, or Pixie, or one of the world-builders to have a look at it

Aesthetically speaking, though, its a great looking shape. Is there any need to make it even more interesting?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast