Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Capital of Barradesh

Guild Expert

I would love to see the rest of the world that goes with this!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Thanks! Maybe someday, for now I'll focus on this part and the texts that go along with it. =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I took a look at your map and here's what I think.
    To start, I think the geography looks very interesting, it offers a good potential.

The map I made is an layer on top of your map at a lower opacity.
    It shows the direction of the winds and some numbers for reference.

Summer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	100325

1 and the area below

The tropical convergence zone doesn’t bring much moisture from the south and since I don’t know what’s north of here, I don’t know how the climate should be.
    If you don’t have an ocean not to far north or east, it’s going to be pretty dry all year around.

The area is closer to a desert than a steppe for the most part

1.5 is a transition area, assuming 1 is really dry.

2- The Mediterranean area on the coast seems plausible

3- Is pretty cold and not very hospitable, a bit like Siberia or Northern Canada.
    4- Deleted
    5- That city doesn’t seem plausible. At 75 degrees I don’t see how a city is possible, unless magic.

6- I don’t think this area would be that dry.

7 Much like point 1, it could be a jungle or a steppe depending on what lies north and west.

8 Winds converge to the tropical zone from south to north. I think there would be no Mediterranean climate here. It's not dry enough.

9 Manchurian climate probably should be a Laurentian too.

10 Could be relatively wet since the monsoon can travel far inland. On Earth, the Asian monsoon can be felt as far as Mongolia, Russia, and some parts of Kazakhstan.

So it is plausible that the area is not a desert especially since you added the water body in the west.

11 not sure this is a steppe. As I pointed above.

Winter:

Name:	winter.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	100326

10 Is much drier this time of the year
    11 Is somewhat in the transition between the dry north and the humid south.
    6 I think we would still see some rain in the peninsula but not as much as in the summer
    The south looks ok
    7 The convergence zone move north and bring more precipitation in the area.
    How much exactly, I have no idea.

For those curious (I was wondering too), this whole analysis took me about 2 hours.
    So when people ask help for climates, that's why it can take a few days to get an answer.
    Sometimes I start writing one but don't manage to finish it.
    Last edited by Azélor; 10-19-2017 at 01:27 PM.

I know this isn't my map or my thread, but I love it when you do an analysis, Azelor. If I can get beyond being bedazzled by it all, its totally fascinating

Sometimes I start writing one but don't manage to finish it.
    The more I mean it then when I say: THANK YOU SO MUCH! Seriously, I can't thank you enough, this kind of comment is the reason I like being here so much =)

I'll look at the comments in depth later when I have a few hours. From what I see directly it seems to play into my cards what I would have liked to be there a lot but I went along without emotions when doing climate and just did what I thought correct, worrying about what I would have liked to see later (if that makes sense). Again, I'll update the map a last time with this data. When anything is unclear or just open and could be both your suggestion or mine (or if it is unsure and I don't have answers) I'll go along with what I like to see there. Again, thank you so much, you deserve some rep! =)

@Mouse: IKR!?

Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I made the corrections for Summer. I think I'll leave it that way, making the equatorial region rather wet than dry for the most part, except in the east. The updated version is in this post. Again, thank you so much for the corrections you saw fit! The one city on 75° was removed btw and moved north - normal maps trick the eye so much with the distortions they have to make this correct intuitively...

Best wishes, Steffen

Name:	X_2xLetter_TheWorld.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	8.76 MB 
ID:	100358
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Sorry, only baby-steps again, but the meteor-craters are in there now along with the unravelling of the world to the west. The islands in the south are also in now.
    Parallel to this, I'm working on a few cities bound to their location in text-form. Hope you enjoy, I'm really happy with how it turned out =)
    Best wishes, Steffen

Name:	600dpi_2xLetter_TheWorld.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	100433
    Visit me on ArtStation.

That. Is insane. Steffen... I hope your future readers/players will be able to appreciate this. - can't have enough maps in a book! (btw. when will this be in stores? )
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Haha, thanks mat_r! I think when all is done and playtesting ended it will have a kickstart at some point. I hope this will be the case in 2018, I want all the texts finished (hopefully) by the end of this year. The rules are already complete, just fleshing out flufftexts.
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 10-23-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

What a golden thread to read through, congrats on all the work done so far, SteffenBrand, it's clearly professional work!

I (we) want more!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast