Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The Capital of Barradesh

An interesting landscape is developing here.

However, being me, I bring word of spelling errors. Well, error. "unvavells" is surely meant to be "unravels".

There are some issues with the rivers.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@Mouse: True, I may have to overthink that. Yeah, in German this is somewhat similar in some ways, the thing is: I have to shy away from doing the obvious. Even if two cities seem to lie together, there are still way apart. Also, I have the approach from the German side, translate it to English and look for what is doable in English to sound Indian. It's weird. Thank you! =)

@mat_r: Thank you! Basically, I use a mixture of phonetical patterns based on pre- & suffixes from the Indian languages, combine them with a mixture of what you can actually use for a game and foreign sounding parts and look for an overall similar sounding word to what I want to have. In this game I have two cultural spheres, the bigger one being the overall Indian sounding one and the other one is somewhat of a mixture of early Chinese (with a bit of Japanese) in a Scandinavian viking/art-decor (the floral patterns mix very well) region with a focus on the spirits of the land. In this case, yeah, you were correct =) Dawncrag was a play on words, as with Sea of Voss I'm unsure if I leave this part in.

@rdanhenry: Thanks, not an English native here!

@Azelor: You mean the bifurcation downstream or what do you refer to?
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Yes one bifurcation is problematic east of Neragup.

Also, some rivers flow parallel to the sea for long distances. It's not impossible, just not very likely to have so many.
    I assume the land must be pretty low and mostly flat. With the difference in elevation between Ijen and Bahrayar of just a few meters. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    @rdanhenry: Thanks, not an English native here!

@Azelor: You mean the bifurcation downstream or what do you refer to?
    I'm not sure, but there appear to be rivers going from ocean to ocean and one going from up coast to down coast. They both start at Bahrayar, one goes to the gulf of Ghuptvedi, the other goes to Nagara. I'm not sure if these are supposed to be rivers but the way the branches are arranged leads me to believe they are.

More and more gets finished, I love it! =)

@Azelor & Falconius:
    The land is in many places relatively low. The thing is, that there are broader and narrower networks of rivers. When I leave out the smaller ones due to the problems I have to face with the visual style I chose, it seems much more weird from the perspective of a mapmaker. There sadly is no real applicable solution I can think of to fix it. As for the coast-to-coast rivers: There are none. The river flows from area around Nagara in the direction of Bahradyar, but the area around Nagara and to the west of it are actually 'just' giant seas build up by the northern streams.

I'm currently writing up the gods (finished that part) and the rest of the cities, here is another one:

Undra, the Zenith of Iniquity
    ‚He seems to think that we won‘t remember him responsible living so reclused, but evermore of the city grows to be a reflection of his ego.‘
     • Population: 25,000; quickly expanding
    With a sleight, Vyash — a Raksha — seized control and functions as the de-facto ruler of the city, oddly turning it productive and into a thriving destination of trade, with pillaged goods from all over the world. The discord however grew. Surrounded by sycophants and servants, he and the nouveau riches rule from their opulent palaces over thousands driven in debt servitude; nearly a third of its citizens. He also didn‘t manage to quell the previous rumours that Undra is haunted: Giant stone-carved faces seem to devour the dead in forbidding overgrown necropoles just outside the city walls, since Vyash forbade the practice of cremation.

Thank you all for your continued interest! =)
    Best wishes and have a beautiful Sunday, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 11-12-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quick up-to-date Sunday! =)

Visually, the last two weeks not much has happened. I decided to include a doubled coastline on both maps to make them more classy and enhance the contrast to the land. I mainly made the next few descriptions of the cities and finalized most notations I used to give it just the right feel (even though this is highly subjective, there is a more right and a more wrong way to do this IMO). Some minor rules-changes happened to streamline gameplay (mostly in the area of combat), but nothing relevant to mapmaking.

The resonance to the city-descriptions didn't seem that large, if you don't say otherwise I'll discontinue them. If there are just silent readers here interested, I'll continue. I just don't want to spam you here, after all: This is a mapmaking forum, not a writers' exchange platform. =)

More and more, the things in the setting come together. I won't lie - I think it is hard to come up with enough diverse and interesting things out of nowhere to have material for years to come. Nevertheless, a great opportunity to learn; something I appreciate.

Best wishes, Steffen =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I'm always in awe when I see you, dedicated people, tackle worldbuilding this way. That's very impressive !

Thank you!

Happy new year, everyone! The vacation was needed and fruitful, all the rules are now made for this game and we'll start a party to playtest the beta this weekend. I also managed to include the most important mountain ranges (again, baby-steps), but I still feel there have to be some more. If you have ideas, let me know =)

Best wishes, Steffen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_wipD_2xLetter_TheWorld.jpg.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	103142
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I like the style you used for the mountains. It's elegant.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast