Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Capital of Barradesh

It's nice to see your mountains at such an early stage. It'll gave us all an opportunity to study it

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Thank you two! =) I know I'm slow with this one, focusing on writing a lot recently.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Nice map
    The thing that caught my eyes was the name Barradesh, i named a legendary wizard Barradesh in my home world for D&D and there's actually a tower with his name
    It's not the first time I see a name I was sure I invented elsewhere. It shows that we all have mutual culture and sources of inspiration
    And for your map, amazing work!

Well, there is only so much options and it is likely that somewhere in the world nearly every word you make up already someone has used at some point.
    Especially the ending of -desh (from actual hindi roughly meaning 'lands / continent') you'll see at some points. Not only because it actually sounds cool.

Thank you, fol2dol!
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I decided for some more mountains and had them at least placed already, but I still have to work on them obviously.

I also decided to give Shinsu (Southeast) a more interesting landscape with more waters befitting a culture of hunters and seafarers that lived semi-nomadic in the past. Since it is counterintuitive to think of south as being cold, I decided to indicate frozen ice on the southern parts of the waters to indicate the cold a bit more. It makes for a more interesting stylistic choice IMO.

I also included some first brown tones where I want vegetation to be dominant; very WIP.

Baby-steps again, I know, but I don't have that much time I can put in it at hand at the moment. I'm sorry :/

To make up for it a bit, I'll include a description of the capital of Shinsu here; Isbreen.

Isbreen, the First Bivouac
    ‚The first land claimed. And after weeks at sea the best destination to make landfall.‘
     • Population: 92,000
    From what it once was, Isbreen outgrew itself into the largest Shinsu metropole, even though it never lost the tents now located on its outskirts. Under the protruding graven gables, several storeyed houses frame the seaside along the busy docks. From here, Shinsu dominates the oceans. As commerce terminates here for the Amber Straits, the city is host to many mortals and a distributer of trade goods at the doorstep to the vast Sjoedland. Fortunate to the whole trade network, the best beerbrewers and reindeer-breeders are said to live here. Not only this, the best mapmakers and navigators study at the academy in a district dedicated to scholars; home to many moonfolk families enjoying the campus atmosphere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600dpi_2xLetter_TheWorld.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	103622
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 01-22-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Wow! That's a lot of area to be covering in such detail - down to the climatic variations!

I really love the coastline. It looks a lot more realistic than most of mine

I'm really sorry, but I still can't be any help with the climate plan...

EDIT: oh look at me! I'm still stuck on the previous page and didn't realise you were already doing the vegetation and cultures!

Looks like its going to be a rich and interesting world, Steffen
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-12-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Haha, thank you Mouse! :D Yeah, sadly this has to lie there for a bit until I find time again. Three weddings this year, many other appointments, and a heap of work on my desk in addition to some other things tend to devour the time I can spare. I actually continued a bit, but not much. Look here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_wipF_2xLetter_TheWorld.jpg.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	107012

I nearly also got all cities descriptions, just point me to one of them and I'll post it. The three not completely done are Priyashen, Rewen and Bahradyar.
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 05-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678