Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about Patreon

Question Question about Patreon

J. Edward aroused my curiosity and interest when he asked about Patreon. So... after having a look on it, I'm more than likely to give it a try(if I understand correctly, it's free, only a percentage is charged on what patreons give).

BUT... I'm wondering what I should do. I've various world in construction. Should I propose maps/written stuff about one world, or about 2-4 different worlds? Would it be confusing?
    And what worlds would you be more interested in? Domhantyr, Elzevir, Egishirgal, my Darksteel Galatic setting, my current work on Ersïa?

Just curious to have your views about it...

I am in the same boat
    Not sure what direction or path to try to take this Patreon thing.

Maybe pick one that you have more interest in and maybe more material to start with.
    Then once you gain some patrons you could ask opinions of them and see what they would like.

By J.Edward
    I am in the same boat
    Not sure what direction or path to try to take this Patreon thing.

Maybe pick one that you have more interest in and maybe more material to start with.
    Then once you gain some patrons you could ask opinions of them and see what they would like.
    Yup! Looks like a good idea. My "interest" is kinda always changing, though, due to my players and my own mood... and that's the reason why I have numerous more or less advanced worlds in the making .
    I suppose I should start with one with a lot of background done at least...

Btw : you know that I'm likely to be one of your patrons anyway ?

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected sword peddler's Avatar

Word of advice on patreon: there is a lot, a lot of people on there making maps and you have to compete with them all. My advice is skip patreon, and sell PDF of maps on DTRPG.

I didn't consider the DTRPG option either... How does it works?
    I'm kinda aware of the competition (on patreon or anywhere else) but I'm not expecting to do lots of money anyway.

Guild Journeyer

DTRPG is simply a digital product distributor/marketplace. Go to https://www.drivethrurpg.com/affiliate_faq.php. Get setup as either an affiliate or publisher and then start uploading, listing and selling your stuff. They take a cut of it, so make sure you know how that works etc.

For what it's worth, I've never gone to Patreon looking for an artist to support, but I have sometimes gone there to see if an artist I already like is on it. I have never really perceived any competition for my patronage.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

It's been said before to follow your art and let it direct you. If you start producing people will likely start to ask for/encourage you to do this or that and by following what your art does for you, you may end up doing something you never even dreamed of.

As far as competition well, If you are making maps here that people are loving it's not likely you will suffer there. I think many of the best fantasy mappers are or have been among us here. Furthermore, art is in the eye of the beholder, what you do will not likely be the same as what someone else does and therefore you are likely to capture the imaginations of certain people and that may be all you need. In any event, what's the worst that could happen? You don't make anything? Heck, that's easy
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks a lot for your answers! I'm still thinking about it and I will give it a start (soon I hope).

Patreon works, and does so affordably (I lose 5% to credit card processing and 5% to Patreon fees every month).

However, when I started on Patreon I was the ONLY cartographer on the site. Today there are... well... a lot.

I also sell my work on DriveThruRPG / RPGNow / OneBookShelf, but that is a small portion of my revenue stream now.

My revenue breakdown in the last five years:

Patreon - 73%
    PDF Sales (OBS) - 10%
    Print Sales (Lulu) - 15%
    Commissions - 2%
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast