Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyson's Mapvember 2016

Map Dyson's Mapvember 2016

Hey folks, long long long LONG time no see.

When last I was here it was 2011 and I was just some guy posting the occasional hand-drawn map to my blog.

These days, the style of those maps is generally referred to as "Dyson-style" and there are a number of cartographers using it.

So, I thought I'd show up for this whole Mapvember thing. I'll be posting photos of my work in progress pieces as I finish them, and then over the coming months (if I stick to it), I'll post the finalized versions of these same maps after they've been scanned and cleaned up a bit in post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161101_184349-01.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	89229

The first cue for Mapvember this year is "Beacon". And immediately I'm off to a rough start because I don't normally post maps I'm unhappy with... and it turns out it is HARD to free-hand a long spiral. So I'm kind of unhappy with the spiral in this one. I think I'll add some shading to it to take emphasis away from the rough lines and to add some sense of height. But we'll see.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Map

Cue number 2 for Mapvember 2016 is "Derelict"

Name:	IMG_20161102_095421-01.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	89230

I've had a few requests from patrons in my Patreon campaign to draw a space station. So I slew two avians with one igneous projectile and drew a derelict space station. Much happier with this one than the first one of the series.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Map

The third Mapvember cue is "Descent"

Name:	IMG_20161103_163251-01.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	89231

This hole in the ground has a long staircase that leads down to the bottom which is the access point to the old Hall of Daniau the Defender, last of the knights of the Order of the Ivory Sentinel.

I blame Miska Fredman.

Mapvember. Cripes.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Map

And on the fourth day of Mapvember, Miska gave to me... The word "LANDING"

Name:	IMG_20161104_160606-01.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	923.1 KB 
ID:	89232

So this is the small town of Bellfield Landings.

Once again, all blame belongs at the feet of Miska Fredman for this whole "Mapvember" thing. Really? Mapvember? Couldn't you come up with a better name? And maybe a theme that wouldn't sucker me in to drawing a map every day for a whole month?

Suddenly I was trying to figure out what to draw for "Hangar" when I generally draw fantasy maps...
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Map

On the fifth day of Mapvember, Miska gave to me... Hangar.

I almost decided to be funny and go with Hanger instead. But then realized I had nothing better with that one except maybe a game of hangman.

Name:	IMG_20161105_182730-01.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	89233

I'm calling this one Airlords of the Aldeiron Peaks. Or something. A small encampment of high level bandits, raiders, or PCs with their flying mounts.

Hippogriffs? Griffons? Drakes? Wyverns?

We'll see in time...

(Side view on the left, traditional overhead on the right)

Definitely somewhat inspired by reading all the Pern novels this spring.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Hey! Nice to see your superb crosshatching here! And don't worry, we all blame Miska for this. A fellow countryman and still torments me with this madness.

The maps are gorgeous and the comments hilarious ! Go for the prize (yeah, there's none) !

Fantastic work, and thanks for sharing with us!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Map

On the sixth day of Mapvember, Miska gave to me... "Saloon"

Name:	IMG_20161106_133823-01.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	89248

The end result was a halfling inn & tavern - the Underhill Saloon & Eatery.

I think it would be awesome to use a halfling tavern as the "base of operations" for a group of adventurers. Just the whole mental image of these hardened adventurers stooping into the tavern, finding the few chairs that fit them well, and the REALLY big member of the party sitting outside leaning up against the open window to talk with them.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    The maps are gorgeous and the comments hilarious ! Go for the prize (yeah, there's none) !
    Fortunately, for me at least, there is.

I post my finished maps to my blog and my Patreon campaign is set on a per-creation basis. So as long as I keep the level of work high enough, I can turn each map into its own prize. Thanks to my patrons at least.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast