Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
I don't hate forests yet because I haven't progressed from hating mountains The next mountain I see I'm going to nut and stick two fingers up at!
Oh Straf, please don't. That could be very painful - especially if you've drawn any really pointy ones!

I think the hatred is not so much of the forests but the sheer amount of time involved in drawing them - especially in isometric view. I think its actually easier in top view, because you only have to worry about the form shading making the tops look... floofy, but isometric drawings mean that you also have to worry about tree trunks/no tree trunks, how to make the forest look like its standing up and not some strange encroachment of lumpy algae rolling out over the land, and there's also a much bigger problem depicting rivers that cut through the forest... whereas with top view you either have roundish tree blobs overhanging the river, or you don't. Simple

The whole thing is even easier if you use ready made tree symbols, as in CC3, but even then it can get quite laborious, so I do know how you feel. I'm currently trying to repopulate a woody city map with about 1000+ tree symbols. Placement is critical, since each tree symbol is 'above' the last, so if you do the woodland in the wrong order the slope can look the wrong way up... if you see what I mean