Thread: City maps with topography?

Default City maps with topography?

Hello,

I'm trying to draw a city map which is set on quite mountainous/hilly terrain. I'm planning on having some of the main buildings sitting at the highest part of the city overlooking the river etc., but I'm finding it hard to convey this on a map. I don't necessarily need a bird's-eye view, but I would somehow like the elevation to be obvious.

I don't plan on including detailed drawings of each of the buildings, as it is more of a functional map for my reference, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this, especially if there are multiple places which are elevated within the city. Any examples or links to tutorials would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

There is a kind of isometric graph paper with diagonal lines as well as horizontal and vertical lines. I don't use this, though you could possibly find this in specialty office supply stores, or perhaps an isometric graph paper lines as a digital representation. I sometimes use 3D software to create the buildings showing at least two vertical wall faces and rooflines creating all buildings at the same time so they share the same camera angle, though if you don't use 3D software, it has a rather steep learning curve and may not be your best option. One thing to remember, unless your map is modern with automobiles being able to negotiate steep streets going up hillsides, you ought to including winding roads with easier grades that travel up the hills. Good luck whichever way you choose.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

use contour lines

from a DEM use qgis to extract the lines
    -- example from the Valles Marineris area
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

The one worded answer is "it depends". Historically people were't very good at neither measuring or representing altitude/height, and cartography shows this evolution. Here's three maps showing different stages - use them as models depending on the era you want to emulate:

Early paintings kinda hinted at birdseye view or some form of primitive perspective. It was the only way known.

Late rennaissance (not sure of any dates...) saw the use of "caterpillar" mounds, which depict mainly the steep hillsides and become very limited. Caterpillar style is best used to represent mountain ridges. In city maps, they give a false impression of terracing.

20th century mapping uses contour lines and relief shading to properly portray elevation. This map of Barcelona shows that exactly and to this date, so does Google Maps.

Thanks for the tips. I have tried experimenting with contour lines (drawn very crudely at the minute) and the results seem OK so far! Here is what I have:

Can anyone guess which city I am trying to draw?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city outline3.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	89755

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I have tried experimenting with contour lines (drawn very crudely at the minute) and the results seem OK so far! Here is what I have:

Can anyone guess which city I am trying to draw?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city outline3.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	89755

I can see my house!

This seems to be working, I typically will draw just a few contour lines as rough in's as you have done and then deviate from that to create pathways, plateau. Not trying to plug myself or anything but I've done a few of these - see my portfolio page - Red River Gorge and Petromka are two variations of that style. The Petromka uses vertical lines along with the horizontals. Nice start. Check out J. Edwards maps as well he has some great top down views.