Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The World of Leth (commission, WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by LargusMeans View Post
    Truly stunning. So many great things you've added to increase the depth of this map. Brings tears to my eyes after 30 years of not changing.
    Happy client is the best what you can get. Glad those are tears of joy, not sadness....

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx
    I notice the rivers are a dark blue whereas all the other water is a completely different shade, is this intentional to highlight the rivers?
    No damon, it is not intentional. I always get those kind of questinos from the very first wip map i posted here (probably light challande). I do my maps in stages (like everyone lol) by filling in colours or contours of all things that will be in the map. Later i start working on some part of it, leaving everything else. After i complete one part i move to another. Results are that during wip i may for example have almost finished land but forest still has only outlines etc.

So to answer your question, rivers, sea and forests are just filled with random colors to give the idea and separate them from land texture during shading process. I will work on them later channging colors, shading etc.

Ahh, right. Thanks for answering my question. Your process is sort of what comic book colourists do, called flatting - not sure if you've heard of it but it's very similar to how you work.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I really like the coniferous forests, you've found a great way to do them. If you have forests tips to share, I will devout them greedily...

The map is overall wonderful!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Last update this year. Getting close to color this baby. Knowing the variety of things in this map, it may be quite tough job to do. I will do my best.

Enjoy (i hope), Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leth_shade_cg_resize.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	90422
    Last edited by Voolf; 12-22-2016 at 10:11 PM.

That is so beautiful. Its what I hope to achieve myself once I've honed my drawing skills and taught myself to see properly in ISO view.

Happy Christmas yourself, Voolf

I found more time and willingness before end of year than i anticipated to work on Leth.

Started colouring at last. unfortunately laying down colours revealed many imperfections in shading, so now i have to colour and fix shade here and there, seems like double work ;(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leth_color_v3.1_tranalid_resize.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	90530 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leth_color_v3.1_lava_resize.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	90529

Oh that's beautiful

The lighter green is just a tiny bit intense, IMHO.

Are you going to give the ocean any texture to compliment the rather lovely detail of the land?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Beautiful work, Voolf! I've been following this thread and love the amount of detail and contours you've created. Thank you for sharing your awesome progress with us!

Beautiful!! Can't wait to see everything put together.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow! Those mountains are... wow. Great work on this - if you apply the same level of detail to the forests, seas, etc, this map is a winner for sure. Heck, it already is.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast