Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Shire

Impressive work, as usual Francesca!

By Abu Lafia
    It reminds me of the old illustrated children books.
    Very true. I could also easily picture this kind of map as a wall painted map or tapestry.

Just incredible! The trees in particular are fabulous. They remind me of Arthur Rackham's work. Of the work you've done so far, this is my favorite. Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    You magnificently captured the feel of this map with the illustrations you provided with the map, stunning work! =)
    Sadly I can't rep it at the moment...
    Thank you very much Steffen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Impressive work, as usual Francesca!

Very true. I could also easily picture this kind of map as a wall painted map or tapestry.
    Thank you Ilanthar! One day I'd like to print one of my maps on canvas just to see how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Just incredible! The trees in particular are fabulous. They remind me of Arthur Rackham's work. Of the work you've done so far, this is my favorite. Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh! I really love Rackham's work so your comment is much appreciated

Hey Francesca

I tried printing something on canvas once. It was horrendously expensive and didn't turn out anything like I expected it to. The problem with real canvas is that its really quite bobbly, and the texture has a tendency to ruin the finer details in a hi res image, so unless you printed The Shire on a canvas the size of a wall, you would likely loose all that beautiful detail in your drawings.

Just thought I'd say that before you lashed out on an actual print

If you still decide to give it a go, may I suggest that you enlarge the original by at least a factor of 4, and only get a test corner printed first, just to make sure?

EDIT: also - a little known fact - printed canvases have a terrible tendency to fade to blue if you don't protect them from strong light!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-08-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey Francesca

I tried printing something on canvas once. It was horrendously expensive and didn't turn out anything like I expected it to. The problem with real canvas is that its really quite bobbly, and the texture has a tendency to ruin the finer details in a hi res image, so unless you printed The Shire on a canvas the size of a wall, you would likely loose all that beautiful detail in your drawings.

Just thought I'd say that before you lashed out on an actual print

If you still decide to give it a go, may I suggest that you enlarge the original by at least a factor of 4, and only get a test corner printed first, just to make sure?

EDIT: also - a little known fact - printed canvases have a terrible tendency to fade to blue if you don't protect them from strong light!
    Thank you very much Mouse! Your advices are much appreciated. I really know little about the subject and I will think carefully before invest money in a printed canvas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123