Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mountainous attempt

Guild Expert

Great news Mouse! Can't wait to see you're work improve, tho it doesn't need to, it probably will regardless after you get used to using the new tablet, and you will have to get used to it. When I first got one, which is the bamboo as well I found it a little awkward at first, but it only took a few days to get the hang of things. I even used it instead of a mouse back in the day when I tried out cc3. If I'm on my desk top, which is rare, I don't use a mouse at all, I prefer the tablet for everything, even just surfing the web.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Congratulations Mouse! Merry Christmas to you and your family! And trust me, the tablet is going to be very very weird for you at first but once you get used to it you will ask yourself where it has been all your life! It took me about a week to get used to it. It will probably take you a day

Guess what program I've been using mine with?

And just so you know, CC3+ has a built in tablet program so you can configure your tablet to work with CC3+. I was experimenting with line width and line size last night and found that I can draw in CC3+ just as well as I can draw in Autodesk Sketchbook or Artrage Studio or Gimp. The difference is that you don't have to drag the mouse around. And to start and stop drawing you will have to tap the tablet, otherwise wherever your pen goes a line will go too. It just took about two seconds to get used to it. Since it is a CAD based program, your drawings will also be more precise.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Great news Mouse! Can't wait to see you're work improve, tho it doesn't need to, it probably will regardless after you get used to using the new tablet, and you will have to get used to it. When I first got one, which is the bamboo as well I found it a little awkward at first, but it only took a few days to get the hang of things. I even used it instead of a mouse back in the day when I tried out cc3. If I'm on my desk top, which is rare, I don't use a mouse at all, I prefer the tablet for everything, even just surfing the web.
    Thanks Kacey

Looks like I have a few new dimensions to explore! I love it when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Congratulations Mouse! Merry Christmas to you and your family! And trust me, the tablet is going to be very very weird for you at first but once you get used to it you will ask yourself where it has been all your life! It took me about a week to get used to it. It will probably take you a day

Guess what program I've been using mine with?

And just so you know, CC3+ has a built in tablet program so you can configure your tablet to work with CC3+. I was experimenting with line width and line size last night and found that I can draw in CC3+ just as well as I can draw in Autodesk Sketchbook or Artrage Studio or Gimp. The difference is that you don't have to drag the mouse around. And to start and stop drawing you will have to tap the tablet, otherwise wherever your pen goes a line will go too. It just took about two seconds to get used to it. Since it is a CAD based program, your drawings will also be more precise.
    Oh WOW! You know... I REALLY don't think I've even touched the rules just yet!!!

Lets make this software dance... fly... SING!!!

Go Tonnichiwa - show me the way to the next dimension, brother

Happy Christmas!!!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-23-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Some people just have a Knack...I feel your frustration with CC3/CC3+ and trying to learn Gimp...

I know in My Mind what I want elements to look like on a Map..Sometimes Elements look great till you need to run a Certain Way and then Look like Crap when you try lining them up. Once you start Stamping them down, they look Stamped..Or Wrong all together.
    Overland Maps definately make me so frustrated and why I rarely make one and City Maps also. One thing that bugs me is When certain Mountains Have Shadows one one side and others on the Opposite Side....

Being able to Draw you own Art gives an Advantage when you want to get Commission
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

A little late to the party on this one, but I'm pleased you decided to take the plunge and go for a tablet. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you too Mouse. Enjoy your celebrations not too far (compared to most) from where I'm having mine!

I'm not frustrated with CC3+. I just think there are a few directions that haven't been properly explored just yet, and I intend to explore them.

GIMP, in my mind, is a way to facilitate the drawing of all the extra symbols I will need to help me push CC3 just a bit further - to break free of the stereotypical 'CC3 map'.

I do, however find the challenge of drawing a map entirely in GIMP rather exciting now that ChickPea has waved the metaphorical gauntlet around in such an inviting and friendly way, and I'm definitely going to have a go at it, just for the hell of it

For the most part, I'm more interested in writing stuff and doing maps to go with the writing than in doing map commissions per say, but if anyone ever asks me to draw a specific map and offers to pay me for it (whether that be in CC3, by hand, or in GIMP/Krita), I wouldn't just say 'no'. I'd think about it, and I think my answer would depend very much on whether I really thought I could do the job right for them.

Happy Christmas, John Paul! May you and yours be well

EDIT: Ninja'd by GLS - See next comment

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    A little late to the party on this one, but I'm pleased you decided to take the plunge and go for a tablet. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you too Mouse. Enjoy your celebrations not too far (compared to most) from where I'm having mine!
    Hey GLS

Better late than never!

I'm really so excited about the tablet that I spent all night last night trying to finish the hand drawn map I'm doing right now, just so I have a clean slate to start another one the moment I get the tablet. January 5th looks like the day. I should get the Road to Tiamis done and dusted by then

I'll raise my glass as high as I can to you, and if I'm lucky enough to raise it far enough above the horizon, you might just see the flash of it in the sunshine from... what is it - about 40 miles away?

Happy Christmas to you and yours! Be well!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-24-2016 at 06:53 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'll raise my glass as high as I can to you, and if I'm lucky enough to raise it far enough above the horizon, you might just see the flash of it in the sunshine from... what is it - about 40 miles away?
    Haha, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

So I wanna know, did you two see each other?

Ok Mouse, you've inspired me. This is my artrage studio mountain range. It has too much yellow in it but I was trying to find a color that would tone down the white lines running down the mountainsides. I think the final result is sort of pretty but definitely too yellow saturated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screwed up mountains.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	90503  

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    So I wanna know, did you two see each other?

Ok Mouse, you've inspired me. This is my artrage studio mountain range. It has too much yellow in it but I was trying to find a color that would tone down the white lines running down the mountainsides. I think the final result is sort of pretty but definitely too yellow saturated.
    Either the glass didn't glint hard enough, or it was once a bit too full... though very nearly empty by that point I suspect! LOL!

Ooooh! They're beautiful, Tonnichiwa!

I can't explain why, because the shading seems to be more about altitude than light direction. They shouldn't really work.... but damn! They really are pretty, and could easily be used as the basis of a new CC3 style

I don't know anything at all about Artrage, but if you really don't like the yellow isn't there a filter or an effect you could apply to desaturate it slightly towards grey (which would make it kind of dull greenish in appearance unless you turned it more towards orange). I don't think that too much orange would be all that good for it though, so what about making it a warmer yellow before taking it towards grey?
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-27-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345