Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Road to Tiamis

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

What Thomrey said! This is such a gorgeous piece! And I'm glad you got your tablet in. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    This is stunning Mouse !
    Thanks thomrey

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    What Thomrey said! This is such a gorgeous piece! And I'm glad you got your tablet in. I can't wait to see what you do with it!
    Thanks Tonnichiwa - a bit different to the kind of thing I normally do, isn't it! LOL!

Beautiful work, Mouse!

I liked watching the progression from start to finish, this has really helped with perspective. Great job!

Thanks Knighthood

I haven't finished this one yet, but its nice to know it helped someone

Here are a few more WIPS.

I thought I'd collect them together for you until I reached a point where I needed some help. The help I need is this - do you think the grass is too green? Also, I'm thinking of recolouring the rock in the foreground as it doesn't look right in blue and brown.

There are only three layers right now. The scanned pencil drawing, an initial colour layer set to overlay, and a second colour layer set to multiply - the one that darkens the colours to something close to real (I hope)

C&C welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Road to Tiamis 09.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	6.31 MB 
ID:	90698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Road to Tiamis 10 red.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	6.32 MB 
ID:	90699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Road to Tiamis 11 red.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	6.17 MB 
ID:	90700  

WOW! I don't even know what to say. Its just absolutely stunning! I do believe this is my favorite map that has been posted recently.

Guild Expert

This is where the colour blend mode may come in handy since you already have a deeper base, or even just as an experiment if you want to make the foreground rocks grey you could try picking a grey and just paint over the blue brown in colour mode. I know it goes against what I said earlier but sometimes if the values are already there then it should only change the colour. And just from my own experiments multiply is good for shadows, overlay, soft light, and screen are good for highlights, but be careful with screen it can make things glow.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that's what the colour mode does, so if you use colour mode over white it's probably why it goes over bright, if you use it over something you already shaded and coloured it should hold on to you're original shaded values, and only change the colours... Hope that helps, if not then hey, at least you what not to do.

And by the way, it looks great just as it is.

I would try to use something between second and third images green. Or leave pale green and deepen it here and there just a touch. Your call in the end, it looks outstanding already.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew VE View Post
    WOW! I don't even know what to say. Its just absolutely stunning! I do believe this is my favorite map that has been posted recently.
    Thanks Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This is where the colour blend mode may come in handy since you already have a deeper base, or even just as an experiment if you want to make the foreground rocks grey you could try picking a grey and just paint over the blue brown in colour mode. I know it goes against what I said earlier but sometimes if the values are already there then it should only change the colour. And just from my own experiments multiply is good for shadows, overlay, soft light, and screen are good for highlights, but be careful with screen it can make things glow.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that's what the colour mode does, so if you use colour mode over white it's probably why it goes over bright, if you use it over something you already shaded and coloured it should hold on to you're original shaded values, and only change the colours... Hope that helps, if not then hey, at least you what not to do.

And by the way, it looks great just as it is.
    Thanks Kacey

I've been playing around with all the different blend modes, and I can see what you mean about the colour mode. I don't know if these modes match up with PS, but there aren't as many here in GIMP as there are in CC3. GIMP seems to be missing linear light, linear burn, linear dodge... and a fair few others as well, including one that is simply called 'phoenix'.

I'm going to employ the age old trick of leaving it be for at least 24 hours. You'd be surprised the way you can immediately see what's wrong with a picture in the very instant you look at it again with fresh eyes the next day, and now that I've figured out what all the GIMP modes actually do, I should be able to put it right and finish up sometime tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I would try to use something between second and third images green. Or leave pale green and deepen it here and there just a touch. Your call in the end, it looks outstanding already.
    Thanks Voolf

I really like the grass the way it is, but I may see it differently in the morning when I come back to it. Maybe there isn't enough variation in shade and hue, particularly in the immediate foreground. I'll bear your suggestion in mind, and we'll see what comes of my final adjustments

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It's a wonderful illustration!
    The composition is really great, the atmosphere that results is truly surprising.
    With regard to the three choices: for me, it is the third that speaks to me the most ...
    A well marked green, as in Scotland or in Ireland.
    But in any case, it's really a true artist's job!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast