Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to Tiamis

Aw thanks ChickPea

I started this with reservations about the low angle of the perspective, but after a while I realised the perspective wasn't an issue, since I was learning quite a lot (or re-learning it) about the way stone looks and how to shade it more intelligently than those mountains I did on the other thread. Back there I hadn't shown any of the blocky structure of the slabs of stone, or drawn any crevasses. There wasn't enough detail to make them look really rocky.

Thanks for checking up on the location - and sorry, Straf - just goes to show how ignorant I am about places not in Dorset that I didn't recognise what Straf was saying.

Definitely going for a holiday there one day!

I think I may need to draw my compass in perspective - pointing into the drawing because the perspective of the drawing is so flat.

EDIT: Don't know if I'm going to colour it yet.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-15-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Really cool to see you doing this Mouse! I honestly have no clue why you always put your work down either, because I think this is looking pretty great already!

I like the low perspective too and it's not something you often see.

I'll do my best to keep track of your progress on this Mouse, mostly to see how it's progressing, but also to see if I can pick up any more useful tips (thanks already Voolf ).

Thanks GLS

I was once a very arrogant and opinionated young thing, who thought that because she was best at art in her entire school, she was naturally going to be the next Da Vinci, or Michelangelo. I soon learned the error of my ways at Art College - where I was actually the worst in my year! LOL! I even failed to get into a degree course because I was just so dreadfully bad. The only thing I did really well in was colour theory.

However, having explained myself and how bad my drawing is by art college standards, I still see a value in this exercise, as it will undoubtedly help me to get my head around what to aim for when I have my next go at the job in GIMP.

It would be great if this little exercise were also to become a source of useful tips

Wow! You're really good at drawing (waaay better than me). I can't wait to see more of this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Matthew - and so that you know I'm not actually exaggerating anything, here is the original I found
    Maybe someone in our multi-national community can tell me where this is, since if I ever have enough money to go on a holiday, I'd really like to go there. Its just so surreal with all those fields going right up to the edge of the world like that.
    That was actually me that commented, it was logged into his account at the time and I didn't notice.
    I also did a google image search (it's actually really good!) and it also came up with Val Gardena.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

That's a nice set of drawing skills indeed !

I used witchcraft.

OK, Google image search, but it's witchcraft really.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Wow! You're really good at drawing (waaay better than me). I can't wait to see more of this!!

That was actually me that commented, it was logged into his account at the time and I didn't notice.
    I also did a google image search (it's actually really good!) and it also came up with Val Gardena.
    LOL! I'm totally out of my comfort zone as it is without you two playing switch the VE on me! LOL!

Thanks Josiah But I'm absolutely certain it will be at least a couple of months before I can draw proper map mountains the way you do them

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    That's a nice set of drawing skills indeed !
    Thanks thomrey

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I used witchcraft.

OK, Google image search, but it's witchcraft really.
    Oh Straf! LOL!

Just in case you're wondering where the next update is - I can't see the drawing enough to be able to work on it in this gloom, or I might have had another update for you today. I find that artificial light reflects too much off the graphite to be able to see the differences in tone in the darker areas of the drawing, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow and hope the sky isn't quite so overcast.

Mouse fights back against the growing darkness... and a serious case of boredom and impatience!

I went and bought myself a daylight bulb from Asda.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Road to Tiamis 03.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	4.83 MB 
ID:	90268

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Awesome! I love it! Great job on this Mouse!

......I'm speechless.... I am really stunned.
    Just.... just... wow...

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast