Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to Tiamis

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is... staggeringly good. So many talented newcomers all of a sudden!!

Wow Mouse this is seriously excellent. I actually like the transition from colour to pencil on the same page. The work has a very high fantasy, fairy tale, quality about it and that transition into pencil shades also gives it a tinge of horror and bad things that await around the next bend. If I had to choose one though... uh... um...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Woot Woot!

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I love the colour!!

I'm so happy you decided to do this.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is promising to be another work of art! I didn't favour the addition of colour at first sight but it's growing on me, and it lends the whole picture a sort of mood or an atmosphere or something.

I hope there's a decent pub in that village because there'll be some thirsty rock climbers looking for a pint after a day on those crags!

Wow, really nice Mouse and...forbidding? The way you've drawn and shaded it, there is an expectant air about it, that something marvellous or horrific is going to occur.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

This is really beautiful nice setting

Ok - I'm going to do this without any smileys, because the server just told me off for using 13 'images' LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That is... staggeringly good. So many talented newcomers all of a sudden!!
    Aw thanks, Diamond (blush)

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Wow Mouse this is seriously excellent. I actually like the transition from colour to pencil on the same page. The work has a very high fantasy, fairy tale, quality about it and that transition into pencil shades also gives it a tinge of horror and bad things that await around the next bend. If I had to choose one though... uh... um...
    Thanks Falconius (smiley) High fantasy eh? I didn't set out to make it that way, but I suppose the colours I chose are a little on the surreal side (wink smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    Woot Woot!
    Thanks zhar2 (smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I love the colour!!

I'm so happy you decided to do this.
    Aw ChickPea (blush) I'm really enjoying the old school approach with this map, and I'm glad you suggested it (wink smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    This is promising to be another work of art! I didn't favour the addition of colour at first sight but it's growing on me, and it lends the whole picture a sort of mood or an atmosphere or something.

I hope there's a decent pub in that village because there'll be some thirsty rock climbers looking for a pint after a day on those crags!
    Thanks Straf (smiley)

I'll make sure they build one if they haven't already (wink smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Wow, really nice Mouse and...forbidding? The way you've drawn and shaded it, there is an expectant air about it, that something marvellous or horrific is going to occur.
    Thanks damonjynx (smiley)

In storyland, there is always something about to happen (raz)

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    This is really beautiful nice setting
    Thanks snodsy (smiley)

I think this is a little place called Geisler in the Dolomites. At least the image I mirrored to use as a reference near the beginning of this thread looks a heck of a lot like the one for Geisler I saw in the second of the two Dolomite videos that jpstod linked us to. I'm going to go there one day. The way the fields just go right up to the edge of the precipice is just completely surreal (wink smiley)

Guild Expert

Wow Mouse! I really like the colour. Did you do the colour part by hand, or is it done digitally?

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Wow Mouse! I really like the colour. Did you do the colour part by hand, or is it done digitally?
    Thanks Kacey

I opened the most recent scan file in GIMP and played around a bit with all the controls until I stumbled on colour mode . I had to add another layer between the drawing and the colour mode layer to darken the pencil drawing by using divide mode and adding a whole layer of nothing but black.

There are probably hundreds of better ways of doing it, but that's just the way I accidentally arrived at, all by myself.

EDIT: if you try this at home you have to place an entirely black filled layer immediately over your scanned in drawing and change the mode of the black layer to 'divide', then add a third layer above that one and change the mode of the third sheet to 'colour'. You then draw on the topmost colour mode layer in colours that are very low saturation on the palette and which look very nearly black. This is for GIMP. Sorry, but I don't know the settings or the equivalent method in PS!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-18-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast