Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to Tiamis

Thank you srt

I'm experiencing a bit of a drawing block at the moment (I'm probably scared I'm going to spoil it now that so many nice things have been said about it), so progress on the drawing itself is just a bit slow at the moment - never mind progressing through the pad itself! LOL!

I have however done some fir trees in the middle foreground since the colour experiment, but I'm trying to get a lot more of it done before I upload another WIP, or after the success of the colour test it might look a bit dull and uninteresting!

Drawing block is loosening its hold over me, so here is a very small update (considering the time that has elapsed).

I have added my first forest of pine trees at the extreme left hand side, and worked a bit more on the foreground. the sketchy tree outline is destined to become only the fringe of a tree, since the space inside it is where I intend to put the distances between the places on the map, in lieu of a proper scale. Haven't decided yet what to do about the compass.

I would like to do all the text digitally once I've finished the drawing (because my own writing is rather too child-like and plain), but I'm having trouble understanding all the mask complications in GIMP/Krita, and may import the GIMP-coloured scan into CC3, where adding text is as simple as typing on a sheet with the right kind of effects - an outer glow (known as a stroke in PS)

The drawing has at least extended far enough down and across the page that I needed to do two scans and stich them together this time. The join isn't perfect, but I don't think it detracts too badly from the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Road to Tiamis 05 (reduced).JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	90421

Ditch the CC3 Mouse, what belong in your hand is a pen, not a mouse

LOL! But I like CC3!

Thanks for the compliment

I have to say I sort of agree with Voolf.

This is so incredible. Every time I look at it my jaw just drops (figuratively more than literally).
    I think you should do a hand drawn map for the next Challenge or Lite Challenge. I think you would have a good chance of winning.

Hey Matthew

Thank you also for your compliment!

I may consider hand drawing an entry at some point in the future - if this one turns out ok when its finished

It's looking really good Mouse. The trees are fantastic thomrey will throw you out of the gang

Thank you Straf

I shouldn't worry about the tree hating thing. I'm sure I've not yet drawn enough to qualify for gang membership anyway, but it will come!

Guild Expert

Looks better all the time! Can I suggest tho that if you're going to do the text digitally that you remove what's already there, and the arrow pointing down too. If you're worried about mucking up you're paper with an eraser you can use the healing brush, or clone tool in gimp easily, there's tons of tutorials on YouTube on how to do this just don't be surprised if many of them are on how to remove wrinkles, or blemishes from photos, but it's the same technique. Anyhow, it looks great, can't wait to see this when it's finished.

Thanks Kacey

And thanks for the suggestions about the text as well. I think I will probably try to erase the existing, but with any luck I should be able to repair the shading without too much trouble. The worst bit is going to be trying not to blur the detail of the drawing under my hand - being right handed

I went out to try and get hold of some grease-proof paper to rest my hand on, and I couldn't find a single scrap of the stuff anywhere. Must be Christmas again!

Happy Christmas

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast