Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Road to Tiamis

I would vote for the second one, but with the paler green on all the elevated flat lands.
    And, it's looking truly fantastic, Mouse.... it's letting me dreamy .

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It's a wonderful illustration!
    The composition is really great, the atmosphere that results is truly surprising.
    With regard to the three choices: for me, it is the third that speaks to me the most ...
    A well marked green, as in Scotland or in Ireland.
    But in any case, it's really a true artist's job!
    Thank you Jo

I think that now you mention it the colour of the grass is more inspired by the rolling green hills of Dorset where I live, though its probably also combined with childhood memories of the clean iridescent quality of the light in the more northern reaches of Scotland - which, though completely unintentional, is oddly fitting for a map that only exists as a result of ChickPea's friendly suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I would vote for the second one, but with the paler green on all the elevated flat lands.
    And, it's looking truly fantastic, Mouse.... it's letting me dreamy .
    Aw thanks Ilanthar

I can see that I might have to do 2 versions of this map in the end - one with darker grass up top, and one with paler grass up top, since not even I can seem to decide which one I prefer

Ok I've finished this map and put it up in the Finished Maps forum here.

My apologies if this might seem a little rushed, but I feel I have achieved all that I am going to achieve with this particular piece.

I couldn't have done it without all your help and advice.

Thank you

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Beautiful work, Mouse. You have really learned to master GIMP in a short time frame.

I love all of these renditions and the last one is my favorite because of the great contrast and vividness of the colors. Just beautiful work. I also like the first two iterations in the sense that they have that washed out Tolkien-esque look to them. They look straight out of the Hobbit cartoon books I used to read as a kid.

Thank you for sharing, my friend. You do such beautiful work. Looking forward to more!

Thank you Chris

The hardest bit was doing the tonal pencil drawing and getting the overall tonal differences across the drawing about right. Once the pencil drawing was done it was really only a matter of colouring it in GIMP and adding the text, compass and border in CC3+.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314