Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A set of Atlantide Maps

Outstanding work Warlin! The altitude contours (or whatever they are called) look very good. The rivers look very legit as well. The city map is well laid out. Those maps look great too (although I noticed that some of the mottos were repeated in various places, was that intentional?). Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    Excellent map, Warlin!
    You've got a really impressive mixture of 19th century and hellenistic period!
    I simply love everything in this map!
    Thanks AzurePlanet. The 19th century and the Hellenistic period are inspiring for their scientific and philosophic progress, and the discovery feeling they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizeman21 View Post
    Splendid map there. Everything is believable and realistic. Good one!
    Thanks Sizeman. Waiting to see the Atlans spies knocking at my door...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This is so good Warlin
    Well worth the CC award it now has
    Thanks John. Now i know what you feel when receiving a CC award .
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Outstanding work Warlin! The altitude contours (or whatever they are called) look very good. The rivers look very legit as well. The city map is well laid out. Those maps look great too (although I noticed that some of the mottos were repeated in various places, was that intentional?). Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh. Yes some mottos are similar or the same and it is intentional in relation with the context. For Azaey and
    Mnesea it's the impact of religion upon the politics, for Gadire and Atlantea, it shows the proximity of the two states, one for the reign and one for the protection, for Ampherey and Evaimon, the two states have a cultural proximity, like two conservatives states with strong traditions.

I was just looking this over and reading the thread of WIP. This is so beautiful and inspiring!

The attention to detai; perfectly sized/spaced text, clean historical evoking graphic elements, perfectly placed key, clean border, all well thought out and in harmony. The determination on the caterpillar mountains is staggering - I looked at the thread - 2 months of detailed passionate work! I have to learn to work like that.

The development of the flags/countries and alliances takes this map to a whole new level, as others have said - makes it a place in time. The city map is perfectly placed, scaled and drawn, with enough details to go further into the story.

Incredible work Warlin, a work of art!
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your process. Looking forward to your next, as Max said - You've leveled up!! Awesome.

Thanks Snodsy for all this kind words. Though there is no planification in this work. The time i began drawing caterpillar lines, i can't stop and the map was to be discovered. I have to make decisions step after step and it's this process which is really interesting in map making process . I think my stubbornness and total lack of realism helps me not to give up.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Lovely works, Wallin. Looking forward to your further release about those ten countries' folklores.

Amazing work on the map! Truly inspiring and it was great to see it come together in the WIP.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Tsang View Post
    Lovely works, Wallin. Looking forward to your further release about those ten countries' folklores.
    Thanks Ricardo. The new one is coming soon .
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Amazing work on the map! Truly inspiring and it was great to see it come together in the WIP.

-Dan
    Thanks Dan. Hope to see more of yours also.

Here is the new update. This one takes me a lot of time labelling and bring my laptop to its limits (small device indeed ).
    Hope you enjoy it.
    Cheers.
    PS : i have a third one in my mind. But i'm not sure to draw it soon .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlantide01.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	90770  
    Last edited by Warlin; 01-04-2017 at 04:33 AM.

I really like the look of that update Warlin.
    Only thing is... it almost seems like we are viewing a map in a dark room, maybe.
    Seems a bit dim. Is that intentional?
    I do love this map though.

edit - drat... must spread rep first
    I will return
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-03-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks J. Indeed the background is a bit dark because during the holidays i took a picture of an old book page in a pretty dark place. I only realized this "error" back on my Ipad. It wasn't intentionnal, but now i like it like that .

Its a lovely texture, and beautiful additional work - as if this is an official record of resources kept deep in the main government vaults (as such valuable information about the country would be a secret, me thinks)

I also like the darker appearance, but do you think it would be better again if you could somehow manage to balance the light level across the page, so that it is all the same amount of darkness?

I don't know how you would do it, because I've only just started using GIMP, but I would try multiplying it with a matching diagonal gradient - white from the top left corner/side, to transparent at the bottom/right side.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast