View Poll Results: Do you want to map a voyage by water?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Map a voyage by water, inventing your own vessel and water body

7 46.67%
  • Map a voyage by water where the vessel and water body are decided by the throw of a dice

7 46.67%
  • I'm not interested in this idea.

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map a voyage by water

Default Map a voyage by water

I have seen a great many maps with beautiful oceans, lakes and rivers depicted in so many different styles and colours, but not very many where the water is the dominant feature of importance. The idea I have has two options:

IDEA A

Map a voyage by sea, lake or river, taken by a vessel of unspecified design (chose your own) with the option of mapping both or either the layout of the vessel and/or the ports where landing is made...

IDEA B

Map a water bound voyage between at least two ports, choosing the variables as follows using the traditional random generator (a pair of dice):

Dice 1: vessel

1 = coracle / canoe / raft / rowboat... or other very small one or two man vessel.
    2 = fishing boat / dredging vessel / tug... or other type of commercial 'working' vessel.
    3 = gunship / battleship / aircraft carrier... or other type of naval vessel
    4 = submarine / amphibious land vehicle
    5 = pleasure boat / cruiser / ocean liner (larger recreational / leisure craft)
    6 = sailing vessel (any kind)

Dice 2: water body

1 = River
    2 = Inland sea
    3 = Ocean
    4 = Canal
    5 = Flooded area
    6 = Reservoir

Please vote

When you vote...

The first option is for IDEA A

The second option is for IDEA B,

The third option 'I am not interested in this idea' is to express your concern that having either A or B as a challenge would have a negative effect on the challenge system by failing to attract enough entrants that month.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-24-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I really like this idea. I did it once for a challenge, and the concept of demonstrating travel in a map, like the actual movement from one place to another, was a fun problem to wrestle with; there are lots of ways to approach it so I think this suggestion could bear some beautiful fruit!

cheers,
    Meshon

Oh dear! Maybe that wasn't very original of me! LOL!

Blog Entries

the current is a dangerous area

and the ocean is dangerous
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh dear! Maybe that wasn't very original of me! LOL!
    Sorry, definitely didn't mean to imply that it wasn't an original idea, merely to share my experience that it is a really interesting idea, and good for maps!

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Sorry, definitely didn't mean to imply that it wasn't an original idea, merely to share my experience that it is a really interesting idea, and good for maps!

cheers,
    Meshon
    Oh no! I wasn't taking it the wrong way. I thought someone must already have suggested it, because you seem to have already drawn a map for a very similar Challenge. That was all

No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh no! I wasn't taking it the wrong way. I thought someone must already have suggested it, because you seem to have already drawn a map for a very similar Challenge. That was all

No worries
    I think the challenge that I drew the Mengkong River for was just "Map a River" but I really really like your idea of mapping a journey by water. How do I vote for this, by the way?

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: "Well Meshon, you look at the top of the screen and there's a poll there!"

I thought for a minute I'd forgotten to put the poll in there! ROFL!

It appears for the nonce that out of four voters I'm the chaotic one! give me a random challenge any day - no comfort zones here thanks!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the idea, and I like version B. I wonder how you'd actually represent what type of vessel you'd rolled, though. I guess that'd be part of the challenge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast