Thread: [WILBUR]Terrain "smoothing"

Default [WILBUR]Terrain "smoothing"

I found that Wilbur is excellent for making maps for Cities: Skylines using heightmaps from terrain.party

There however is 1 problem: Due to the system used, the maps basically show up as 90% steep cliff, absolutely awful

What i basically need is not to smooth the map so it's not jagged, but to reduce the height difference between low areas and high areas, for the entire map

I found that you can do that with the "remap altitude" option but that one is weird and inaccurate, and found a similar thread, where it was recommended to use the set value option, but i see that it won't work for the entire map, just a selected area (basically you need to have an area selected otherwise it doesn't work)

Basically i need my terrain "squeezed" vertically, so that the difference between lowland and highland isn't so steep

The remap altitudes operation is the most direct way to map arbitrary inputs to arbitrary outputs, but you indicate that you don't like the way it functions. Using an exponential operator might do what you're after, but without knowing the precise sort of mapping that you need, it's hard to say what would be best for you. You might also want to consider a spatially-varying operator that would just affect the sharp edges by using Texture>>Gray Maps>>Other>>C1 Discontinuities, Texture>>Transfer>>Texture To Selection, Select>>Feather, and finally Filter>>Blur>>Gaussian Blur.

Selecting the entire map can be done with Select>>All (it should also work for the entire map if you have no selection).

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

If the issue you're experiencing is simply that the elevation differences in the exported maps are too great, you might try using the Scale filter (Filters>>Mathematical>>Scale) with a very low value. I can't recommend an exact value to use without knowing what your maps' height ranges are (you can find out with Surface>>Map Info...), but as a first approximation, you could try 0.1 and see what results that gives you.

Blog Entries

There however is 1 problem: Due to the system used, the maps basically show up as 90% steep cliff, absolutely awful
    without more information ....

See above but without knowing what you are doing or what this "system used" is ??????

please be more specific and include images

this might just be a exporting a 16 bit signed ( or 32 bit data) as 8 bit and / or other software is causing issues

What i basically need is not to smooth the map so it's not jagged, but to reduce the height difference between low areas and high areas, for the entire map
    again without seeing an example or a lot more detail ????
    only a guess on exporting to a 8bit image
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Looking at the terrain.party site, it appears to export real-world terrain as 16-bit PNGs that have a scale and offset for use with the Cities: Skylines software product. I know nothing about Cities: Skylines beyond its basic advertising copy (same with terrain.party), but an internet search turned up http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710...4394239429098/ with suggestions for working with the two.

Basically yes, the website takes a grayscale height map from any real place, and saves it in a certain size. However, because the dimensions are small and the height is left unchanged you get pretty weird things like 90 degree slopes

The tool that you are looking for is likely Filter>>Mathematical>>Span to allow you to specify the minimum and maximum values in your terrain. However, saving the data as a PNG again in Wilbur will rescale it to the full range of the 16-bit value again, if I recall correctly. That means that you won't gain anything by going from PNG to PNG with Wilbur.

It seems like that is the problem

Whenever i insert a file into wilbur and process it, it will get it's height stretched

When inserted straight into the game you can see the slopes aren't actually that severe, only after inserting in Wilbur to simulate erosion/fix some bugs does that occur

Blog Entries

i save images from wilbut to the 32 bit format "bt" then use "gdal_translate" to convert it to a tiff ( default is 32 bit )

this dose not restretch the image

i do that later using Gmic
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

seems complicated

basically, i should save it as something that isn't PNG, and convert it to png with something else?