View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Thanks Mouse. Great idea btw.

Lets do it, it's about time for another community project at any rate

Thanks Tonnichiwa - an idea that Ladiestorm sparked off, and one that I think J.Edward had independently before that anyway by the sounds of it! LOL!

Consider it done Falconius Welcome on board!

Blog Entries

Hey I am up for a bit of the map - you know I like these community things. I know some of the mappers on the guild do exceptional city maps and so if its a challenge I have no intention of being in the running for a top place but id try and lash a bit of it up !

A few posts in here about the zoomable map. Yes I can do another zoomable map of the city no problem. All I need is for people to stick to their regions and if possible for the task master to dish out the templates and provide a nice mask for the area too. A black and white bitmap that matches the bitmap of the rough drawing of the area to map. I dont need square regions but some of the mismatch on the last 10th anniversary was caused by some lack of clarity on the exact borders between the regions. So there are some little gaps in places where they didnt match up quite right. I hope this time we can improve on that.

As usual if you make an area map thread then lets label them by numbers and keep a list of the number and person mapping it and I can link them all together like last time. That saved me a lot of time trying to figure out which map went with which thread in order to continuously update the overall map.

Since there were a few comments about not having seen the last zoomable map then there are a couple. The anniversary map is linked at the top of the community pages. But if you change the URL with cwbp2 to just cwbp then the old community guild world is on there too with Ansium and so on. You can click down through that one quite far - esp in my region since I set it up like that

Someone mentioned something about the image scraper being broken... someone want to fill me in on what is the problem and I may be able to take a look.

Couple of final points based on previous community projects. Its a good idea to determine if the guild city is CC licensed or just normal copyright to individuals. Either is ok but know the effects of doing it one way or the other.

And also, in the 10th anniversary map, Robbies map had the city of the guild in it so I could link the city into that spot.

Right - ill shut up now but ill see if I can edit in some links to the zoomable maps so far.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/l...ype=guildworld
    (ok cwbp and cwbp2 dont appear to be working. The link from the community pages is also not working but the one above does.)
    (The Guild is on the map just above Kingdom of the Cartographer in Robbies map bottom right of main continent.)
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-05-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Wow Redrobes!

Does this mean we have a green light... of sorts?

Welcome to the discussion. I'll put your name on the list - and please feel free to set us right if at any time we start to wander off track away from what is technically feasible

EDIT: I was so bowled over sideways that I completely forgot to say thank you

EDIT 2: From the Guildworld map it looks like we are kind of stuck in the middle of a plain someplace at mid latitudes - and yes, I think it would be a great idea to link the Guild City/City of Guild map to the Guildworld map
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-05-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Does this mean we have a green light... of sorts?
    You dont need me to green light anything ! I think we talked about it in the past a long while back that we should do a community based city map and a regional map too so that the world links to region which has the city in it and it all links up. Would be nice to have city levels like sewers to towers mapped too so you can wander about. I can link up the zoomable maps with hot links. Its just the anniversary guildworld map doesnt have any on it and the ones that did don't have working links right now for some reason.

Edit - this was when J.E did a city in Nehua region and I linked it up but I dont think it made it to the guild. J.E said he was going to map several of the cities there so I said that I would link them up if he did. I think I did it locally on my machine but not in the guild files.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-05-2017 at 07:10 PM.

So how would the different levels work? Would we all need to draw at least 3 levels to our maps - using key location points where main sewers crossed from map area to map area, or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick (er... again).

I'm really not all that clever, Redrobes - sorry!

Blog Entries

Oh I thought that we could do a ground level map like what has been talked about but maybe someone or several people might want to map bits of a lower sewer level at the same time. The sewer level would have ladders up to the surface at positions which would obviously correspond with access hatches / man hole covers on the ground level map. Also, if you did have buildings with towers in them like say a church then you could have additional maps of the tower or maybe the interiors of some of the buildings and I could link them all up. Obviously getting the ground level with the roofs all done is the most important part but maybe some people might want to do their interiors of important buildings or cellars and sewers later on. Anyway, just saying that it might be a good idea to plan to have the sewers or multi level sections in mind when organising the main outline map.

I wish my cwbp zoomable map was working as I could just show you. I had it all sorted out on that one.

Ah, so... maybe we do our basic city sections [showing roof tops and all] and then we might get inside a few buildings with some floor plans and then that might lead us into some secret tunnels and sewer access too.

I still do need to make some more cities in Nahadua. Only have one at the moment.
    But I thought a few other people had done a few cities of their own for Guildworld.

I' sort of getting it. In a sense we wouldn't need to necessarily make sure that all the sewers linked up, as long as they didn't cross over the boundary lines. If that's the case then that's a lot easier, because dungeon enthusiasts could do as many sewers as they liked on their own property, while those of us who prefer building interiors or many levelled towers could do that either instead of or as well as the sewers... (I think)

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast