View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Too late, that's your full nickname now

Thanks Voolf, but Mouse is good enough, as that's what I am
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.

I was playing around with a test landscape to plop the city into.
    It is a weird set up... but might be fun and interesting to do a city map on.
    I didn't set a scale for it yet, as I didn't know how big it might need to be.
    If people do want to go with this, then I can be a bit more specific with certain land features and terrain, while still leaving it up to each mapper to lay it out just so in their own sections.
    If needed, I can provide a shaded layer that has the basic terrain features in a bit more detail.
    But remember, this is just an option. It's up to the community what they want to do.

City of Guild, in the karst lands
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild city test 01a.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	90829

Edit - little buildings and roads were just samples for me to test scale.
    And the sort of washed out/masked bits of blue water are supposed to be where water is flowing underground.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-06-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Oh WOW! You really do have a knack for drawing beautiful shapes. I can already see the city in that landscape.

I'd love to say just do it, but there are at least 26 others who need the chance to say something.

Thank you so much John! It must be totally too early o'clock in the morning for you over there!

EDIT: I especially like the underwater river - but we'll let you get away with that one. Too many tax returns and not enough sleep!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Sure, sounds interesting.

Lorelei!!! Long time no see!

I have to sit down a minute - John gives us a beautiful map, and then you turn up - 'just like that'

Are you in with the gang?
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Lovely work so far John! The layout is very interesting. I imagine it quite fun to arrange the buildings in this sort of landscape. Thanks again for igniting the imagination and providing the grounds. I think the scale might depend on the number of participants in the end, but it seems good already.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Imagine how long it would take to back that up onto 3.5" floppies!
    You jest, but I currently have an external 3.5" drive and some old floppies which I have used within the past month.

BTW, if you do have any of those old floppies and old programs that run in dos mode, I recommend DOSBox.... Which reminds me I have a copy of Campaign Cartographer on 3.5" floppies (I honestly completely forgot about that)... I wonder if I can get that to work. Talk about going old school.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Guild Expert

Mouse - I like you're idea of having a time limit for the main map, but no time limit on the extra layers that's a good idea.

J.Edward - That map looks lovely, but I think the rivers should stay above ground draining into those big open sink holes, with water falls going into them. It might be neat to even have buildings or tunnel entrances scaling the sides of the cliffs down the sink holes, if that makes any sense. And the citizens could even build big water wheels there to get power for the city... Just a thought.

And a question - what size will we be able to work at in pixels or inches, will there be a limit or will the individual maps be scaled down to fit the big picture after?

Good point about the pixels Kacey. I assume that when the city slices are handed out they will all be the same resolution. I'm probably going to blow mine up to 200% to work on it (making the obvious allowances for doubling the linear scale), and then reduce it again before uploading it, so that it arrives here exactly the same shape and size as I was given it.

Does that sound like a reasonable solution - to return things the same size as sent?

I also have another question for everyone generally:

What exactly is the 'normal' direction of the light in a top down map? I know what it is for me, but I don't use PS like the majority of the rest of you, and would hate to put a shadow on a tower that was at odds with all the shadows you were putting on your towers!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast