View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    reposonse to the water transport thing. I seem to be behind the convo here....

I thought we had in mind these land boats which use sails to transport goods about and that the water flowing in these underground channels were not exactly main thoroughfares ? I have a sector where I am putting a bucket convener and maybe a water wheel. I wasn't expecting boats to be on the water below. I live next to a karst region with underground water flows and there is no way you could physically put a boat on them.
    I missed like the first 30 or so pages of this thread so I had no idea if it was covered. As for water travels, according to my archaeological excavations through other peoples maps I've discovered the city people had a particular fondness for river travel.

Boat lifts do exist in the fantasy world that some of us call 'real life' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boat_lifts

I used to live not too far from the Anderton Boat Lift. It's proper steam punk stuff for real.

Do you think boat transport is going to be important if we all have at least one decent road going through our districts?

Just a thought, since boat lifts and so on might make water transport more impractical than putting each barge load in ten wagons and hauling it by road.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Boat lifts do exist in the fantasy world that some of us call 'real life' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boat_lifts

I used to live not too far from the Anderton Boat Lift. It's proper steam punk stuff for real.
    I wish I knew about the Peterborourgh one when I still lived in Toronto I would've loved to see that. Also YES! It actually exists!

Edit: OMG this is cool and kinda terrifying. Underground, in a cramped mine, that is half full of water.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.

I guess we'll be seeing a boat lift on your property then Falconius

I wish. No water level change on my map though. Maybe on another map some point in the future

I haven't checked, but maybe there is another district you could have after you've finished this one - in round 2?

EDIT: Or... maybe we have need of an actual canal system?

That would definitely take some working out, though!

Before I heard of Ilanthar talking about having boats with mast, it's something that never crossed my mind.
    It's narrow, often below the city and the water level would always be fluctuating with boats risking to be crushed/submerged when the water rises in the rainy season.

The people of the city are either crazy or very imaginative, or likely both.

Do we have a sewer system? I was thinking about putting some drainage canals for the water or something similar.

What we need is someone willing to map an entire district as a sewerage and rubbish processing plant - one of the remaining outlying areas downstream, or a new one that isn't right next door to anyone else! LOL!

This is excellent.
    I am glad it is growing beyond what I drew.
    This is all stuff I was definitely not thinking about, as you can tell.

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast