View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Not necessarily but would would need to cooperate with your neighbour.

It isn't anyone's yet, so I think I will pull everything tall a bit further north west to avoid the imposition on my as-yet-unknown neighbour. Its only a matter of a couple of grid squares anyway

Most of my buildings on the map's fringe will cast a shadow outside of my map.

Unless someone stole its shadow.

Do we know who is sending out these shadow thieves? Is it the guild of shadow weavers?

A man can fall over, you know, and take ill without the shade of his shadow to balance the light in him!

I can't speak for the shadow thieves, but I feel a little robbed as I read through this page... I need to redo all my shadows!

I had taken the information from Mouse's pic on Index thread, with the sun settings for CC3 and taken the "Inclination: 40ş" as the agreed altitude of the Sun. With this recent discussion, I now see it was my mis-reading - and that I should have given attention to Straf's workings. As a science teacher I am used to address the position of the Sun in terms of angle from the horizon, not in terms of deviation from vertical. You see, 40ş from the horizon gives a shadow that is 1.2x the height, whereas at 69ş, it's only 0.38x.

My shadows are over 3 times longer than they should be, and the roofs will all pretty much be lighted with the sun at 69ş... Meaning a layer needs to be deleted and restarted. Me no happy now.

Hey Pixie

The angle of the global sun in a CC3 map doesn't affect the length of shadows cast by a 'Wall Shadow, Directional' sheet effect. That's controlled manually by editing the sheet effect itself, and not the global sun. The global sun only affects the shading on the rooftops, so a lower angle of global sun simply gives more contrast within the rooftops themselves and helps the rooftops pop a bit more from the background. I always use a lower angle to make sure the rooftops look as angled as they are supposed to be. Try adjusting the global sun yourself, and you will see that the shadows cast by your houses remain the same length, no matter how high or low the global sun is set to be, but the depth of shade on the shaded side of the roof itself will alter.

Also remember that Straf's calculations about how long a shadow should be are only a guide, and not a rule. For all we know your houses are twice as tall as ours, or shorter by several feet

There are no actual rules about shadow length - other than please try not to throw your neighbour in the shade too much by having a 60 foot wall on that side of your district

At the Monastery, we are taught to always strive for perfection and realism... Hence, since I know how many floors all my buildings have, I know the latitude of the place and I know the hour of the day, shadow length is no longer something I can choose.
    I'll correct my stuff, as to make it "correct", because, you know, us Realisminites appreciate "correct".

Oh, and concerning neighbours, I do have a tall wall on my west flank, and I added a bit of height on top of that, so I will have a neighbour-cast shadow and I am fine.

Actually... I'm going to have a whole load of neighbour cast shadows from the city wall on my northern border, so we're in the same situation

Well, I think the people in my section could have a vote, a referendum or something like that, and decide that they don't allow shadows from other sections to enter section 21... that would be.. awesome, so great, so great. I'm sure people in your section could decide to exit that shadows system as well, it's not good for you. You could be great again, if it wasn't for those evil shadows from your neighbours.

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast