View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

I would like to join please.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    We all live in a sort of Medieval Utopia where feudalism is really a trickle-down benefit and everyone laughs jovially in taverns while the buxom wench walks around with tankards of ale and making various innuendos on her endless circuit; the bard tells a tale of heroism or the tragedy between two lovers who find eternal love in the afterlife. Only with dishwashers and free WiFi.
    I think you might be right

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    I would like to join please.
    Already adding your name eViLe_eAgLe. Welcome to the potential city builders club

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'll be busy getting the Annual Awards off the ground for the next 2-3 weeks, but throw my hat in the ring for after that.* I've only completed ONE city map ever, if you can believe that, though I've started (and left unfinished) several others.

*As long as there's no time limit for completion. And as long as I don't have to help plan out the logistics of the project.

Diamond! Great

I'll add your name to the list to make sure there are enough districts, but I'm hoping that if we get the information sorted out J.Edward will help with the layout and divisions. I'm just sort of doing a clerk's job for him while he's busy

EDIT: Diamond - before we get into making a more detailed list of what we need, should we continue to develop the idea right here, or start a new thread in a more appropriate forum?
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-05-2017 at 04:01 AM.

I would be gladly part of it (be part of the Guild World was so much fun).

Excellent! Welcome Ilanthar

I'll add your name to the list

This seems interesting. I would join, but i really can't promise i will have time :/. You can put me in the reserve bench maybe ?

I would love to participate as well!

You're more than welcome, Voolf EDIT: Ninjad by dvg94! You are just as welcome

I will add you to the list and see how you feel closer to the time. After all, there might be quite a considerable delay if all the Community Leaders are a bit tied up for the next couple of weeks (I don't want to be the 'project leader' - I'm too badly flawed to do the leadership thing very well, so I'm just keeping the seat warm while Robbie and the CLs are busy - hoping that J.Edward will take up the reins )

In the meantime I'm thinking it would be a good idea for everyone to start suggesting different parts of the city, so that we can come up with a list of things to be included, like a market place, or an arena. There should be enough ideas for everyone to have at least one central focal point to their individual map, or it would be boring just mapping a whole load of samey houses all over the place.

Here are a few to get started on the list. We will need at least 15 I think (preferably more like twice that number) so that people can choose the best ones. I will edit this list to add to it as people continue to suggest new inclusions.

I'm really sorry if this seems a bit too structured and dictatorial, but its the only way I can think of making sure we don't have 6 of something where one or two would be better for the city as a whole

• Market place (possibly representing the Commission Forum)
    • Arena (where gladiatorial contests take place, and the mapping gets mean and dirty!)
    • Palace/government buildings
    • Boogie's Hideaway (one of the most terrible seedy places in the City of Guild!) sort of 'bagsied' already by thomrey, but subject of course to Bogie's approval! LOL!
    • Red Map District (I believe most cities have one of these )
    • Temple of Cartography
    • Main shopping Mall (providing all the software and drawing tools we use)
    • Inspiration Park
    • (wailing) Wall of Despair
    • Cartographer's Block
    • Forum Square (a centrepiece that could alternatively be a grand hall where we all come to meet)
    • Central Library (might be part of the University of Mapping below)
    • University of Mapping (representing the vast collection of knowledge we have at the Guild)
    • The Inkwell (another tavern - possibly a rival to Bogie's Hideaway)
    • Mapper's Corner (our equivalent to Speaker's Corner, where the depiction of trees and mountains are the most frequent topics)
    • Community Leaders' Parade
    • Robbie's Pad (this could be a castle)
    • Administrators' Row
    • Here Be Dragons (another tavern?)
    • The Endless Bog (Tavern... I mean, there are so many of us we're going to need a few, aren't we?)
    • Cartographer's Choice (a very prestigious hotel - a bit like The Plaza, or the Ritz)
    • The Ruins (remnants of an older city uncovered by contemporary building works)
    • Aspiration Tower
    • Writers' enclave
    • Publisher's enclave
    • The Shady Map (yes... another tavern!)
    • The Crooked Tree (and another)
    • Orphanage (for all the projects started and never finished... unless that was the intent of the ruins)
    • The Slums (for those poor newbies like myself)
    • Blacksmith shop (for those who work hard on the forum itself making adding features, and creating those nice award Icons and such)
    • City walls
    • Barracks
    • City gates/gatehouses (at least two sets of these I should think)
    • The Compass and Rose (tavern)
    • Kacian Observatory
    • University of Astronomy
    • Chamber of the most astounding and very ancient but secret knowledge (most likely in the ruins or at least very close by?)
    • Individually named watch towers - at least 4, to cover all possible military approaches of the Orcs.
    • Parade and combat practice area - somewhere near the castle.

I've only been here a few months, so I'm not as familiar with the Guild as some of you are, so any more enlightened choices to add to (or replace/rename) existing things on the list, and which better reflect the Guild as if it were a virtual city with a very real history, are greatly hoped for!

Looking ahead...

I think we may also need to set up a sort of complicated multiple choice poll to find out whether the majority want to do this as ISO, or top down, and whether we should have both a river (most cities have a pretty big river or famously important road going through them) and a coastline possibly with sandy bays and docks.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Regarding the age of the city...

It would be fun to do this as medieval, or another favoured time period, but Bogie is right - we need to choose a time period and social setting (ie human, dwarf, elven)

Or maybe all three humanoids living together - especially if the city is dark ages or medieval.

Please comment your thoughts...

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast