View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

When people are saying 'challenge', what do they mean? Do they want a competition between each other, like normal monthly challenges?
    Are they wanting to map the whole Guild City? Is that what is being thought of?
    I know it started with the word challenge, but then drifted into the community thing.
    And I may have pushed that, not sure. I am trying to understand what is being expected.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-05-2017 at 12:49 PM.

I saw it as a co-operative, community project, much like GuildWorld was last year. I believe Mouse's original idea was a regular or lite challenge, but my thought was that it had grown from there.

My tuppence worth, anyway.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'd rather have a friendly time than a competition. Just like Guildworld (in which my country will someday emerge from the mists of my desk ...).

I started this thread thinking purely of a straightforward Challenge, but as the hours ticked by I was struck by how exciting it would be to do it as a community thing - and also how impossible it was going to be to draw anything but a rushed city in the space of a month.

It never even occurred to me to ask for an extended Challenge until Josiah spoke up.

Maybe there is room for both - an extended individual Challenge, and a community project? (Though not necessarily both at exactly the same time, of course).

Confusion ensues.

Any ideas as to what the design might look like? Will it have places and things named after community leaders and prominent members or something? Or will it just be a cool city?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I started to compile a list of main features up in comment 59 above, thinking to include in each district at least one point of interest, so that no one had to map a whole page of houses, or warehouses, or whatever. Variety in all maps

People interested in the community project can add to that list by making suggestions, as DarkInfinity and Jo already have, though of course if you have a neat idea about a street name that you would rather keep to yourself for use on your own map - be it a whole city or part of a community project - then no one will fault you for keeping it back, and the rest of us can have a giggle when we see the joke that you've made. I'm really rather hoping to see quite a lot of humorous pictorial anecdotes - whichever way this idea goes

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm not really getting you on the structure there. Would you be able to do a quick sketch to show us what you mean?
    Very rough sketch, hope it answers your question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-05 14.03.14.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	90809
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Ah ha! I see now - and understand

So you are saying that if we go down the community project road with this thing we could divide it up something a bit like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DarkInfinity variation 01.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	90810

And here you will have to forgive me for butchering your idea!

(My version is meant to be a very hard cold plan of how to split up the area, and not necessarily the final plan by any means!)

If anyone feels like donating a sketch for an alternative way of doing this so that we can get away from a simple square or rectangular grid, please feel free to join in the sketching

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Yes, that is what I was getting at as far as the blocks/districts.

I just put all four directions for the roads to make it kinda look like a compass rose, because I'm a nerd and I think of corny things like that.
    Last edited by DarkInfinity; 01-05-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

I am interested in joining the project but I have a clear preference toward a more modern city. I think it would be a better fit for this kind of project than a medieval city. Considering the final size of the thing it's going to be a gigantic city by medieval standards.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast