Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Batikshal Empire

Thanks everyone for the comments .
    @ Kacey : for the title and big things, it's "Aquiline Two". The "old font" is "Jellyka Grand Saut Textual". The more clean one is "Dumbledor Thin". You could probably have them on dafont.com

Checklist :
    * shadow line on rivers (visible?)
    * old font back (hope it's legible enough)
    * hatching on the boats
    * blue on the swamps (too much?)
    Please, don't add too many things to do for the poor Ilanthar !
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire Batikshal.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	92431

So let's say 'my' map would take you 50 hours at 10 euro per hour, that's 500 euro. This would not include copyright I assume. And I fully understand you're saying that would be the absolute minimum.

What does it mean if you retain copyright? Is it done to not buy copyright immediately, but pay extra for that later?
    Last edited by Bjorn Schievers; 02-09-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Guild Expert

What ever you've done to the rivers looks great, it's subtle, but really changes the look. I wouldn't change it a bit, more would be too much, and less would be not enough, I think you've struck a perfect balance here, the shadow on the rivers is brilliant.

By Bjorn Schievers
    So let's say 'my' map would take you 50 hours at 10 euro per hour, that's 500 euro. This would not include copyright I assume. And I fully understand you're saying that would be the absolute minimum.
    What does it mean if you retain copyright? Is it done to not buy copyright immediately, but pay extra for that later?
    There are quite a few things more to consider (copyright being just one). There's a good guidance here, but we can discuss it in Private Messaging (or at ilanthar.cartographer@gmx.com) if you want.

Thanks Kacey!
    I'm struggling with labels. I've done a new test with another font which I find more legible. Better?
    I also use french, because of some names that are hard to translate...
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire Batikshal.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	92433

I like that font much better. It doesn't jump out and bite you quite as much (which is fine in a bold map, but this one is much too subtle and graceful to carry it well)

Why is "Syriako" crossed out?

Thanks Mouse, that's reassuring .
    By Mouse
    Why is "Syriako" crossed out?
    My way to indicate : it's the ruins of the old city of Syriako.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

I too find the new font better. It's easier to read while maintaining a style that goes very well with this kind of map. The text in the water could be a little brighter, though. Just a tad, for I find them a bit hard to read right now. Or maybe it's my monitor. I don't think my settings are color neutral.

Guild Expert

This font is nice too, but for this map I prefer the previous versions they look more scratchy, if that makes any sense. I just think the first few fonts better matched the really sketchy style of the map, almost like you had written them yourself by hand. The new one looks a little too clean in my opinion, tho I'd like to use it one day it is a really nice font, you seem to have a nack for picking the good ones.

Ilanthar when i read this thread i feel so sorry for you.... You clearly want to finish this one but Mouse (the strict teacher) just keep throwing at ya more and more

Do I?

Oh.

I'm soooorry

I know where I get it from, though - both my parents were teachers

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast