Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 56 - Cross Parc [Straf]

Updated title for you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea

"Perception Alteration Research Centre" sounds fun! The start looks very good Straf. If it's only an "impression" so far, i'm looking forward to percieving the real(tm) Cross Parc district.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

It's going to take time Abu because I'm learning as I go along. I'm not blessed with artistic talent so that has to be developed. I'm new to drawing/painting software and also getting used to the graphics tablet.

My plan is to help those who need it overcome any inhibitions to try something new, to break down the creative barriers. Of course the official purpose is medicinal rather than recreational. Except the gin, beer and mead of course. They are recreational, although there will be a certain amount of high purity (192 proof) spirit available for any surgeons for sanitation. Do we have a hospital yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    It's going to take time Abu because I'm learning as I go along. I'm not blessed with artistic talent so that has to be developed. I'm new to drawing/painting software and also getting used to the graphics tablet.

My plan is to help those who need it overcome any inhibitions to try something new, to break down the creative barriers. Of course the official purpose is medicinal rather than recreational. Except the gin, beer and mead of course. They are recreational, although there will be a certain amount of high purity (192 proof) spirit available for any surgeons for sanitation. Do we have a hospital yet?
    No, but maybe we should.
    I have some buildings that maybe could work... though, my streets are tight and crowded, and maybe quite far from any given location.

It's been at least a week since I even touched this, but tonight I thought I'd put a bit more into it. What you see is just a rough sketch - you know, back of a cigarette packet architecture It's to give me an idea where things are going to be, and how they're going to look. I'm putting in the main industrially things then sticking up other buildings around them. Those cliff side cottages are to rent, and are handy for the distillery There's a gentleman called Orson who transports the barrels out of the city may just stop by with a few flagons for a bob or two in his palm if he gets to know you. You can't miss him, "CART & SON" is on the side of his wagon. Although he doesn't have a son and his own father is a very ex alchemist. Bits of him can still be seen on part of the ceiling.

Anyway:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 56 WIP.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	91716

That's a lot of progress, even so

Life isn't always kind about leaving time for art.

That's a really horrible story about poor old Orson..... Cart..... Oh groan! LOL!

The zig-zag roads down to the lake make your clifside very believable. You're on the right track there!

Thank you Pixie - and I don't know if it was intentional but 'on the right track' made me smile because quite literally the track is on the right of the map

I'm sort of torn here, I don't know whether to use vector like CAD or Inkscape to place buildings and roads and things or just to do the whole thing in GIMP. The advantage of the former is everything will look a lot neater, but the disadvantage is it may look a bit too neat. The advantage of the latter is it gives it a sort of 'hand drawn' older feel to it, but the disadvantage is I'm not great at drawing and it often takes me a long time to do just one simple object.

On the other hand, I could use a combination - making sure I get the resolution and size spot on of course. I could do the natural things in GIMP and lay down the [insert appropriate species] made elements in Inkscape or something.

Anyway progress is halted while the different parts of my brain hold numerous committee meetings to decide the best* way forward.

* The definition of 'best' varies depending on who on the committee is most persuasive. This may or may not involve plain packages being passed beneath tables in discrete corners of very discretely located taverns and inns by characters whose anonymity is guaranteed by the proprietors of said establishments due to other packages changing hands encouraging them to look in a very different direction.

There's no time limit Straf.

Maybe a mixture of the two?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast