Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 03 - Atlas Ward [Mouse]

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Sorry Mouse, like I say, I don't really know CC3.

I tried my best though and that counts right?

I guess if the option ends up being hand-draw or nothing, there's no harm in trying it in GIMP afterwards. Do you know if there's an easy export option to GIMP, or an extnesion that allows you to carry the layers across because that would be really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Sorry Mouse, like I say, I don't really know CC3.

I tried my best though and that counts right?

I guess if the option ends up being hand-draw or nothing, there's no harm in trying it in GIMP afterwards. Do you know if there's an easy export option to GIMP, or an extnesion that allows you to carry the layers across because that would be really useful.
    Oh did I come across wrong! Sorry GLS - no need to apologise - and thanks very much for trying to help

I was actually thinking along very similar lines to your latest suggestion. It has occurred to me that since it is easy enough to hide all bar a single sheet in CC3, and how it is equally easy to open an image rendered from CC3, in GIMP, that I could transfer the layers to GIMP once I've finished building everything by rendering them one sheet at a time, and sort out the shadows in GIMP.

I don't even know how to import one image on top of another in GIMP, though, or even if its possible. That's how bird brained I am at GIMP right now

Yeah, you can import into separate layers in GIMP. I think there is an option to do so under FILE. It's easy peasey. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain to export them from CC3 one at a time, please tell me you don't have a hundred plus sheets again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Yeah, you can import into separate layers in GIMP. I think there is an option to do so under FILE. It's easy peasey. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain to export them from CC3 one at a time, please tell me you don't have a hundred plus sheets again lol.
    Ah right I'll have a look at that when I'm a bit more awake than I am right now (its gone midnight).

I see you remember the 135 or so sheets that made up Merelan City Well, I already have about 30 sheets, but the number isn't likely to exceed 40 or so in this case. The nice bit is that I can do the base part of the image in one render - the bit that exists before any shadows are cast - from the paper right up to the grass. Ill only have to do about ten separate renders from CC3 to rebuild the thing in GIMP

EDIT: I was impatient to try it, even though I'm too tired to be patient with anything that goes a bit wrong. I discovered that even though I could export as png there's no transparency. Moving them all across to GIMP and then having to work on creating a perfect transparency would be more work than just drawing the shadows by hand in GIMP, having exported the whole drawing in one go from CC3 as a jpeg render.

It might even be faster to draw all the shadows by hand in CC3.

I'll see how rough they look when I get more stuff on the map - as you can see I haven't really got very far with the building just yet
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-17-2017 at 08:08 PM.

I've done this one with a sharper edge so that my neighbours can see more clearly where my district ends and theirs begins This means the roads that mark the boundary are only half there

I've also been messing around with the cliffs a bit more, but there's still some work to do there

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas_Ward_02d.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	5.74 MB 
ID:	91450

You know that thing that happens when you've been awake for the last 28 hours - when everything serious is nonsense, and all the puns are just hilarious (even if they really aren't)?

Well this is the result of mapping my way through insomnia - only I didn't so much as map, but spout off a lot of silly stuff that... right at this moment in time... seems to fit the history of the ward. I have a feeling its more ridiculous than amusing, but I can't tell till I've had a sleep...

Oh yes, and - there's no WIP thingumajig on this one because the map itself hasn't changed from the above. Its just the writing...

Name:	Atlas Ward 02e.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	5.31 MB 
ID:	91455

You must have been tired - you missed 'unerthed' and 'ossible'

Oh yes! Thank you for catching those two. I will sort them out for the next WIP

I'm really quite surprised by what I read. I totally don't remember the bit about the Calliper Caves and that Ballista! Weird!

EDIT: I think I may give it another go before the map is done!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-18-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Here is the ward as it might look if the region was a desert. I've removed the trees and altered the colours to suit.

Incidentally - this is an excellent example of something we CC3 users call 'transparency acne', where the orange splodges on the paper background are transparent bits in the paper texture which overlays the unused part of the map. Its the grass texture showing through, and its occurring because I've altered the colours to a point where some of the pixels are burning through the not quite solid areas of the paper.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Atlas Ward arid 01.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	5.11 MB 
ID:	91480

And this is the base map for Red to play with

Name:	Atlas Ward base map.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	91481

Its a bit pale because I had to convert it to being transparent to be able to work with it in CC3. For some reason I couldn't get the transparency to work on it like I usually can with imported bitmaps, but I'm hoping it will help.

Blog Entries

Cool - all done. Yours is probably the most accurate of anybody's now given that it was pretty high res. Will be uploading a new image shortly.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast