Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 03 - Atlas Ward [Mouse]

Well I’ve managed to catch up with some of the work I lost last night, but its not like it was. It’s better than before, so… happy accident!

I updated the patio pattern at the Compass Rose to look more like a compass, and I built the dark coloured buildings immediately south west of it from shaded polys (the things that I think were taxing my system last night when I was trying to make it go faster than was sensible). The pattern parts (the individual poly shapes I was using to build these houses are sitting down in the right hand corner of the picture, where I was copying and pasting them a bit like a painter’s palette. I know I should be making symbols of them, but I also want the tile texture to stay a constant size, which I can only do if I keep them as shaded polys – resizing the polys doesn’t affect the scale of the fill.

Below the shaded poly houses I pasted a small group of thatched dwellings from the CC3+ City Designer Bitmap A collection of buildings. This is the old heart of my ward that was there before the city grew up. These are period cottages and have preservation orders on them – levied by the old parish council (now the Ward Council) which has built itself some nice new posh classical design buildings to the south of that again.

The style of the buildings I intend to place on the rest of the map will continue to vary, but then, that’s what buildings do as you move across a town

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V05.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	91170

I’ve just noticed a mistake I’ll put right before the next WIP – the shadows cast by the undergrowth trees that lie on a sheet below the buildings have encroached on the compass design. Oops!

Lookin' good. The lower building of the orphanage seems to have very weak roof shadows though.

Thanks Falconius

I see what you mean about that southerly tower. I think that's the one I made that was supposed to have an ordinary pitched roof on it. The rest are spires. Its the 11am sunlight that makes it look flat. When I get around to drawing the orphanage later today I'll see now it looks and swap it out for a spire if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I’ve just noticed a mistake I’ll put right before the next WIP – the shadows cast by the undergrowth trees that lie on a sheet below the buildings have encroached on the compass design. Oops!
    Are you sure they're not customers wearing cloaks they purchased from the shadow weavers?

Ah! You may be right. Maybe I should just leave them well alone They're paying customers after all

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Oh, I like the way the Compass Rose turned out.

Sorry to hear about your software troubles. My motto, save early, and save often. I can't tell you how many times I've been burnt on things. That and the power on windy days is sketchy at best at my work. When we had laptops that wasn't a problem, now that we moved to desktops... that is a bit problem... We really should be using UPS's but that's not my call.

It's really looking good Mouse.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I love the Compass Rose! I'm sure when the Grubs and Inklings get some coin they'll make their way across the bridge for classy drink or two. I hope their inkstained fingers don't keep them out… And of course, they'll try to sell some maps. Unless there's a no soliciting sign?

Great work Mouse!

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfinity View Post
    Oh, I like the way the Compass Rose turned out.

Sorry to hear about your software troubles. My motto, save early, and save often. I can't tell you how many times I've been burnt on things. That and the power on windy days is sketchy at best at my work. When we had laptops that wasn't a problem, now that we moved to desktops... that is a bit problem... We really should be using UPS's but that's not my call.

It's really looking good Mouse.
    Thanks DarkInfinity

I've got one of those things that prevents sudden jumps in voltage doing any harm, but I need to leave the autosave turned on

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I love the Compass Rose! I'm sure when the Grubs and Inklings get some coin they'll make their way across the bridge for classy drink or two. I hope their inkstained fingers don't keep them out… And of course, they'll try to sell some maps. Unless there's a no soliciting sign?

Great work Mouse!

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thanks Meshon

Classy depends on hour at the Compass Rose. Lunch time is I admit a bit la-de-da with all the visitors from the castle and the local council buildings, but later, when the darker elements of the city are abroad, there's many a shady deal goes down in those darkened porches.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-13-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent idea : combine the houses to make them more big and complicate ! Well done !

It's looking good, Mouse. I love the compass rose, it has a "roman city" feel to it.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast