Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

Guild Expert

You have far more patience then I could ever dream of, those little details are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    This is excellent! Honestly I think you'd benefit greatly if you added a pen tablet to your peripherals, if only to stave off developing carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Would you recommend one in particular?

I bought one for my sister a few years ago and she never used it much so I might be able to borrow it. It was a basic bamboo wacom.

I'd borrow your sister's to get a feel for it, and to figure out what you do and don't like.

I started working on the roofs and on the shadows.
    I think the style is ok, I've abandoned the idea of making individual tiles because it would take far too much time.
    I'm still hesitating on the colors. I see that most people used some sort of orange for clay or white/gray/yellow for limestone.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	section 17 copie.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	5.98 MB 
ID:	92333

Oh my - this is looking good!

The colours are very much up to you, Azelor.

in Atlas Ward (a relatively well-off lakeside area) I have used tiles and slates (three tones of scale shaped cathedral tiles - yellow/orange/red, and three tones of slate - blue/green/pink). Others have used stone slabs (which are likely to be local and limestone colour unless its a rich area where people can fork out for imported stone slabs) and flat roofs (which can be any colour I guess, depending on what they are made of and covered with). I also have a fair few wooden plank roofs in the slum area, where people just grab what they can.

Its entirely up to you, as to what you think your roofs are made of. IMHO, a fair variety of things makes for a more interesting map

EDIT: unless you add the variety in with different roof shapes instead of colours
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-07-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Your drawing was promising, now colors and shadows are delivering that promise.

Given the recent ramblings on shadows... (and I tell you this with urgency before you do any more work) - rooftops are hit by direct sunlight if the sun is at 69ş, unless the roof is inclined at 70ş or more (which is swiss alps kind of roofing). Which is a good thing, you don't need to shadow rooftops, only highlight a bit those that face the sun more directly.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So much details ! So much work ! And it pay !
    The details on the wall and tower are my favorite ! It really gives a stone texture to the walls
    And as the others says : colors should be your choice ! The city is made with so many different styles, that it would be strange to all have the same roofs colors

Many of the roofs are finished. I just need to add more color variation, chimneys and other details.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	section 17 copie.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	92591

Just to be sure I understand the shadows right I've made a test below.

The house is 2 storey building (probably the average height) and around 6m high. It's a bit more with the roof but it doesn't have an impact on the shadows much because
    the steepness is less than 67 degrees. The roof doesn't cast a shadow on the lower part of the same roof unless the pitch is more than the lightray angle (67).

Is that correct? I've seen other people with shadows on their roofs.

And yes, even modest buildings cast a shadow on the surrounding maps.

Name:	shadow example copie.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	92592

I love the subtle shades of brown you are using to colour the rooftops

I think you have the right general idea about the shadows, but they are complicated things, so someone else may say differently.

One thing I see from the shadow you have drawn above is that you are missing the bit cast at the end of the building, which will still exist even if it doesn't hit the other building, because the gap between the buildings is not aligned with the light ray, and light will not fall into it to cancel out the shade at that end of the building.

Like this:

Name:	shadow example copie.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	92595

I know that extra bit I've put in would mostly be part of the other building's shadow, but there would be no gap between the shadows like there is between the buildings.

Actually, my measures were completely off as I forgot that the shadows are half the height of the buildings.

But thank for the reminder.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast