Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

I love the dedication and effort you've put into your work Azelor
    Just like the Kingdom in the Clouds, this city section looks gorgeous.

Soon, the awful colours will disappear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no 29.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	6.26 MB 
ID:	101835

Done:

Most of the shadows
    Theatre plaza to finish add tress and color plaza
    Color road near plaza
    Finish empty spot near plaza
    Battlement shadows
    Fill the gap outside the western wall
    Rear Temple garden
    Moat/canal

Things to do:

Cemetery details? shadows

Plants color variation ?
    tower shadows
    Sanctuary
    Finish white building
    Front garden

Decide what to do with the tall tower

Damn temple and courtyard
    Shadows for remaining buildings
    harmonize colors
    Add a legend
    a proper scale
    ccompass
    title
    border?
    cliff texture or something
    cliff color ?

*Mouse gasps at the level of detail*

Wow!

That's just incredible, Azelor. I would never have been able to imagine drawing the cliff like that!

Its limestone, so I guess anything between pale grey and creamy white is reasonable, as far as colour goes

The British isles seem to be made of rocks as gloomy as their weather. Luckily you guys get so much green to make up for it.

Limestone over here is golden white to pinkish golden white (I think it's cause by dissolved iron particles in the stone, all the fancy buildings are faced in it). And everything is bathed in the soft Mediterranean sunlight. Of course by the end of summer everything is coated in a thick layer of dust, but nowhere is perfect I suppose.

That'll be the lichens - black, grey, white - they cover everything

When I was a child I used to think that all rocks were splodgy black grey and white with the odd bright orange spot. I guess you just don't get lichens in the drier parts of the world

It's funny that London is drier than Rome but Rome gets to be known more like a sunny city in comparison. 800 vs 600 mm of rain yearly.

My district definitely has a Mediterranean feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It's funny that London is drier than Rome but Rome gets to be known more like a sunny city in comparison. 800 vs 600 mm of rain yearly.

My district definitely has a Mediterranean feel to it.
    When ever I watch British shows, the vast majority of the time everything is overcast or drizzly. Now there is not much Roman content anymore, but it is usually shown like any good tourist bureau would love, sunny and with no traffic.

Its when that rain occurs that is the crucial thing - that and the average temperature. You have a Mediterranean climate in Rome. As far as I can remember my old geography teacher once told me that a Mediterranean climate was the only climate that was actually dryer in the summer than it was in the winter. We have relatively wet summers that are a couple of degrees cooler than yours on average

Heck - we even get lichen growing on the tarmac of our pavements (er... they'd be called sidewalks anywhere else I guess). Its usually a dirty greyish whitish colour - a very common lichen indeed in the south west where the air is much cleaner away from places like London. The amusing thing there, I guess, is when people don't bother to really look at it and make the mistake of thinking its well-worn and trodden in chewing gum. Yes the pavement IS dirty, but its dirty in a much cleaner and more natural way than they think.
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-30-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Still an amazing map with so much details !

Its when that rain occurs that is the crucial thing - that and the average temperature. You have a Mediterranean climate in Rome. As far as I can remember my old geography teacher once told me that a Mediterranean climate was the only climate that was actually dryer in the summer than it was in the winter. We have relatively wet summers that are a couple of degrees cooler than yours on average
    Pretty much that. Rome is warmer with dry summer. It's a particularity of the Mediterranean climate. same hing goes for places like California, Chile and Perth Australia.
    The thing is, it rains often in London but only small quantities with many cloudy days. Typical of an oceanic climate.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast