Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Don't worry about that Kacey. It's worth it. Definitely.
    I too will have details that will not show well on the final map, but that's ok.
    Many people will also be looking at the individual maps, plus some of us are going to go further and do some building and floorplan maps too.
    It'll be worth it. And it is looking wonderful, by the way.
    Thanks J.Edward, I guess you're right so I'll soldier on with it, tho right now I think I need a break, I just can't make myself work on it today. But I did start doing a more landscape type view of the water treatment plant that I'm planning for that bit of water at the top, right now it's just a sketch, but I think I'll paint it just for fun.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Just here to say that your shading technique is really impressive!
    Thanks Azelor!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Okay, this has me totally despairing over my patch o' city. I might have to start over.

Kacey, this is great, great work.
    Don't you dare... I'm liking how you're patch is coming along, it's got really great colours, and a more original style which is fun to see come together.

Give it all the detail you want, Kacey. Quite apart from being a district in Guild City, these are all going to be individual maps one day (in the Finished Maps forum no doubt), so you don't want to skimp on adding what you feel is right. I'm going to be adding roof lichens, stains and a couple of birds nests, for heavens sakes! LOL!

Its looking ever more impressive. You should be justifiably proud of what you have already achieved

How long have you been using PS and GIMP?

(I'm just trying to work out how long it will take me to get anywhere near as good at doing things in GIMP!)

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    How long have you been using PS and GIMP?

(I'm just trying to work out how long it will take me to get anywhere near as good at doing things in GIMP!)
    I started playing around with gimp about four, and a half years ago after I failed miserably to learn CC3, and only got PhotoShop about 3 years ago, but I didn't use it much for the first year because my computer died. In that time I used mostly Procreate on my iPad. I did mostly portraits with no pressure sensitivity so when I came back to PhotoShop about two years ago I had no idea what I was doing. I got really frustrated at that point, but my fiancé encouraged me to keep trying, probably because he was paying for my PhotoShop subscription, which is only around 20 dollars a month btw. I watched thousands of YouTube tutorials, and practiced every day, I still feel like I have allot to learn.

And just so you know I still haven't managed to do a landscape like you did on you're first try, so I think you're ahead of the game... Just keep trying Mouse, you're first attempts in Gimp were very successful, way better then anything I can do... You'll probably get a little frustrated until you learn the tools, but once you do I feel strongly that you'll be one of the best on the forum after seeing what you did on you're first try... Just allow yourself to make crap for the first bit, tho I'm sure you won't. Open a new gimp file, and just start scribbling, play with all the blend modes, try all the brushes, make a mess, and scribble out you're frustrations with the programme, you'll probably figure a few things out in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I started playing around with gimp about four, and a half years ago after I failed miserably to learn CC3, and only got PhotoShop about 3 years ago, but I didn't use it much for the first year because my computer died. In that time I used mostly Procreate on my iPad. I did mostly portraits with no pressure sensitivity so when I came back to PhotoShop about two years ago I had no idea what I was doing. I got really frustrated at that point, but my fiancé encouraged me to keep trying, probably because he was paying for my PhotoShop subscription, which is only around 20 dollars a month btw. I watched thousands of YouTube tutorials, and practiced every day, I still feel like I have allot to learn.

And just so you know I still haven't managed to do a landscape like you did on you're first try, so I think you're ahead of the game... Just keep trying Mouse, you're first attempts in Gimp were very successful, way better then anything I can do... You'll probably get a little frustrated until you learn the tools, but once you do I feel strongly that you'll be one of the best on the forum after seeing what you did on you're first try... Just allow yourself to make crap for the first bit, tho I'm sure you won't. Open a new gimp file, and just start scribbling, play with all the blend modes, try all the brushes, make a mess, and scribble out you're frustrations with the programme, you'll probably figure a few things out in the process.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer

You seem to have had a bumpy ride with software, but its clear to me that you won the war! IMHO Your maps are among the most beautiful on the forum

That map I did in GIMP was mostly hand drawn in pencil. I scanned it, and merely coloured it in GIMP. I didn't draw anything in GIMP

Guild Expert

Thanks Mouse, I still have allot to learn... And drawing in gimp isn't much different then drawing on paper, it just feels a little different using the tablet. With the right brush, and a nice paper texture you can easily do a pencil sketch in almost the same fashion that you would on real paper.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Really beautiful work: details, colors, shadows. It's very alive! I look forward to seeing more

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanks Mouse, I still have allot to learn... And drawing in gimp isn't much different then drawing on paper, it just feels a little different using the tablet. With the right brush, and a nice paper texture you can easily do a pencil sketch in almost the same fashion that you would on real paper.
    Thanks again, Kacey

I haven't had much practice yet with my tablet, since I made a decision to do my map in CC3, but once this one is done I might start alternative between CC3 and GIMP - for a bit of practice and variety

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Really beautiful work: details, colors, shadows. It's very alive! I look forward to seeing more
    Thanks JO

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks again, Kacey

I haven't had much practice yet with my tablet, since I made a decision to do my map in CC3, but once this one is done I might start alternative between CC3 and GIMP - for a bit of practice and variety
    Can't wait to see it.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast