Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Guild Expert

I laid down some basic shapes for the Biomedical and Robotics lab. I had this idea of having like a patch work of copper plates, on the roof, and just making the domes glass with some decoration to hold the panes in place, but I kind of think it's beginning to look a bit futuristic, and heading away from my original idea of making the buildings seem more organic, so I'm not sure if I'm headed in the right direction.

Either way I'm going to go ahead and try painting it tonight, but I have to charge the battery on my computer first, and it's entirely possible that I'll fall asleep before it's done. I haven't been feeling very motivated lately after the time it took to do the last building.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City District 13 .jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	7.28 MB 
ID:	91517

Keep this up and it's going to be an award winner, love the border and sketch of the city in lower right corner, lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I laid down some basic shapes for the Biomedical and Robotics lab. I had this idea of having like a patch work of copper plates, on the roof, and just making the domes glass with some decoration to hold the panes in place, but I kind of think it's beginning to look a bit futuristic, and heading away from my original idea of making the buildings seem more organic, so I'm not sure if I'm headed in the right direction.

Either way I'm going to go ahead and try painting it tonight, but I have to charge the battery on my computer first, and it's entirely possible that I'll fall asleep before it's done. I haven't been feeling very motivated lately after the time it took to do the last building.
    Yeah, I think what snodsy said is true... it is already winning

I like the look and concept of the patches for the roof. I think that is going to look good.
    As for the look or the time-period feel of it.. don't worry about it, unless it bothers you personally.
    I love how it is progressing and I suspect everyone else does too.

If the time is killing your motivation, maybe work some other bits around the section that would take less time, perhaps.
    It's what I do sometimes when I don't want to focus on a really time intensive part.

Agree with snodsy and what J.Edward said. I would also suggest to take a day or two break to clear your head. That helps get rid of some irritation caused by tedious parts of work.

Guild Expert

Thanks guys! I would address you all individually, I just don't have time this morning, but I really appreciate the feedback, it helps me keep going.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I imagine all the work that these domes demand, but the result is so good, that you must not lose courage! Do not put too much pressure on yourself, after all, you have all the time you need... I don't think there is a limit...

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I imagine all the work that these domes demand, but the result is so good, that you must not lose courage! Do not put too much pressure on yourself, after all, you have all the time you need... I don't think there is a limit...
    Thanks -JO- I sure hope theres no time limit otherwise I'm way behind.

I'm still working on the map, you guy's really help keep me motivated, and I really appreciate it. I've spent the last few days consolidating all my sloppy layers. It took forever because I had each part of each building on it's own layer, and grouped together. I had to ungroup all the layers, and merge them back in with the proper layer, and I managed to remove about 15 in the process... Now I just have one layer for all the base shapes, one overlay layer underneath that one for major shading, one above for smaller details, and then two colour layers, one below the base shapes, and one above all the rest, and then above that outlines, and below them all the more sketchy planning layer. Now when I do a new building, I know where things are, and I can do everything for every building on the same layer, there was just too much before, my computer was starting to lag, and I couldn't find anything...I don't know if I'm the only one, but layers can get out of hand quickly, and it makes it really frustrating to get anything done.

I'm still just working on base shapes right now, I think it's best to do them all first tho I'm antsy to get painting them, it's all looking kind of ugly right now so I'll try to get a little further ahead before I post an update.

Thanks again to the guild for all the support, and encouragement, the members here are all so helpful, and nice.

I think if there was a time limit we'd all be in a spot of trouble. Also it would be far less fun then just mucking about in a big collaborative map.

Guild Expert

I'm glad there's no time limit... Here's the progress I've made so far on the base shapes. It's more of a pain then it might seem, I know it looks like I haven't done much, but doing the basic shapes, and light information is the hardest, and most time consuming part of this map for me... I'm really struggling not to start painting, and shading them, but I really want this part done, and over with. Getting through this part is really a chore for me, but if I can just push through this stage I feel like it will be worth it in the end because having a solid base down is really what's going to make the next steps go smoothly.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City District 13 buildings.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	7.28 MB 
ID:	91607

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast