Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Its looking more and more impressive every time you load another WIP

If it gets to much like hard work you could finish just a small section of it and reward yourself with a bit of colouring? Break the task up into smaller bite-size chunks?

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It's gonna be wonderful !
    Great job !

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its looking more and more impressive every time you load another WIP

If it gets to much like hard work you could finish just a small section of it and reward yourself with a bit of colouring? Break the task up into smaller bite-size chunks?
    Thanks Mouse... That's actually what I've been doing, and it's causing some havoc for me, I get confused easily, and forget what I did on the previous parts, I have to redo all the windows for this very reason. I forget what colours I've used, or more like I forget to save swatches, and things were just getting out of hand with all my layers.

But now that I'm sick of doing buildings again I've started doing some tests on shading the hills, and trying out some trees... No luck unfortunately so I have nothing to show for it, but it's good practice anyway. I've never done top down anything before, and never succeeded in doing bushy trees even in a regional map so now I know a few more things not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It's gonna be wonderful !
    Great job !
    Thanks JO I appreciate the kind words.

I had an idea of how I might be able to replace my 'not for sale' Vue rendered composite trees earlier and I thought you might like to see it.

I didn't draw anything with lines. I'm not clever enough to be able to draw trees with ink lines. I just got hold of one reasonably splodgy default brush and three colours in GIMP, and did the Bob Ross thing (he's the God of Landscape painting as far as I'm concerned )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR trees.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	91671

Start splodging with the darkest colour, then dab over it without completely covering it up with the middle colour, then hit it just once with the palest colour. I've marked the colours I used on the palette with red dots. I only used one layer because there didn't seem to be much point in using three separate layers, but this was only an experiment.

Hope it helps a bit

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I had an idea of how I might be able to replace my 'not for sale' Vue rendered composite trees earlier and I thought you might like to see it.

I didn't draw anything with lines. I'm not clever enough to be able to draw trees with ink lines. I just got hold of one reasonably splodgy default brush and three colours in GIMP, and did the Bob Ross thing (he's the God of Landscape painting as far as I'm concerned )

Name:	BR trees.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	91671

Start splodging with the darkest colour, then dab over it without completely covering it up with the middle colour, then hit it just once with the palest colour. I've marked the colours I used on the palette with red dots. I only used one layer because there didn't seem to be much point in using three separate layers, but this was only an experiment.

Hope it helps a bit
    Thanks Mouse, I was just watching him the other day on TV and I agree he's awesome, and good job on the trees I can definitely use the tip right now I'll give that a try.

I'm quite impatient to see it finished... Your render of the buildings is really brilliant . That being said, take all the time you need, I'll keep an interested eye on your work .

Guild Expert

Thanks Ilanthar, I got a bit discouraged after failing miserably at my first tree, and hill tests, and decided to try planning things out in 3d thinking I would get a better idea of how things should look top down. So I finally downloaded the full version of ZBrush, I did a trial a few months back, and have been itching to buy it ever since so my focus has been on learning that... Then I had a complete computer meltdown, and had to restore my computer back to factory, luckily I save everything directly onto a micro sd card so I didn't lose any work, it was just a pain to set everything up again....

Anyway heres the little progress I've made, a few more bases, some really ugly hills, and a small tree test which turned out horribly. I would love some advice on how to fix the hills, I'm lost on how to do them top down, and I feel what I've done is just ruining the whole thing.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guild City District 13 Hill Test.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	7.23 MB 
ID:	91888

This is really gonna be beautiful Kacey. Really.
    It looks wonderful so far.
    I like the trees. They feel right with the buildings.
    They have a soft look that matches some of the buildings.

Shakes head... those are not really ugly hills, Nope.
    You are too harsh on yourself Kacey.

LOL! You're totally nuts Kacey! How can you say there's anything wrong with that hill shading, and the trees! The trees are excellent

Really digging your shadowing on your cliffs as well as those awesome buildings, cann't wait to see each update, great job!!

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast