Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Thinking about it, John's right. This is a cartography forum, but in reality its a huge collection of all different kinds of creative person. Even I have dabbled with 3D. There are all kinds of people like Falconius, Jo and Ilanthar around who all use Bender and Sketchup (and those are just a few names straight off the top of my head.)

I bet you're going to really show us all up in the end with all the 3D tree models you are about to create

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    In all of this I've come to the realization that I'm just much more comfortable drawing people, and portraits, it's what I've always done before getting into mapping so I'm going to be focusing on characters when I'm just starting to learn the new software...

I just wish I had a community like this one to post wip's, and get critique, and feedback for all of this... I'm kind of feeling a little lost, and in the dark with it right now, but I'm excited at the same time because I've always wanted to learn 3d.
    kacey, this thread might be of interest to you.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3138

It's from the original community worldbuilding project that was started back in 2008/2009 (long before my time - but the thread creator has posted a few times in the last year or so, if you check the final pages of thread).

If you're not in the mood for mapping, put away your map files and draw some of the denizens of Guild City instead. Or do your 3D stuff. Mostly, don't force yourself to do something if you're not in the mood. You'll kill the enjoyment and only stress yourself. This isn't a time-sensitive project. If you don't want to look at it for six months, that's 100% fine. Go where your muse takes you, and come back later when you're in the mood. The thread will still be here waiting for you. As will we.

I'd rather like to see some drawings of Guild City people, however you might interpret them!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Are there no forums or anything for zbrush users?
    Yes there is, theres a whole forum for it, Zbrush central, you should check it out theres some amazing work on there... It's very intimidating for someone like me who hardly even understands the interface yet... I'm comfortable here at The Cartographers Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    It's hard to find forums like this one.
    Falconius is absolutely right this website is a gem, I've yet to find another that matches the kindness of the people here.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Kacey - some of us have some experience with 3d and some might even have a passing familiarity with Zbrush.
    Start a thread in... the 3D Modeling sub forum here and we can all still help you in what ever way we can.
    It may not be 'mappy' stuff, but I'm sure we'd still enjoy it and the thread might prove useful to others who might want to get into using Zbrush [myself included]

But, it's up to you.
    If you do, just put a link in here so we know where to pop over to.
    Thanks J.Edward I didn't realize I could post non mappy stuff here. If I manage to create anything for my guild city section like characters, or buildings, could I just post it here in my section thread?

And I was wondering, is it possible to rename my thread to District 13 instead of unamed?

Thinking about it, John's right. This is a cartography forum, but in reality its a huge collection of all different kinds of creative person. Even I have dabbled with 3D. There are all kinds of people like Falconius, Jo and Ilanthar around who all use Bender and Sketchup (and those are just a few names straight off the top of my head.)

I bet you're going to really show us all up in the end with all the 3D tree models you are about to create
    Now I have to make trees

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    kacey, this thread might be of interest to you.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3138

It's from the original community worldbuilding project that was started back in 2008/2009 (long before my time - but the thread creator has posted a few times in the last year or so, if you check the final pages of thread).

If you're not in the mood for mapping, put away your map files and draw some of the denizens of Guild City instead. Or do your 3D stuff. Mostly, don't force yourself to do something if you're not in the mood. You'll kill the enjoyment and only stress yourself. This isn't a time-sensitive project. If you don't want to look at it for six months, that's 100% fine. Go where your muse takes you, and come back later when you're in the mood. The thread will still be here waiting for you. As will we.

I'd rather like to see some drawings of Guild City people, however you might interpret them!
    Thanks ChickPea I hadn't seen that thread before, it would be fun to create citizens from Guild City that's exactly what I was thinking.

Yep - anything that you want to post here in your section is up to you.
    District 13 - I'll change it for you.

Unfortunately I have not been able to follow the entirety of this rather large thread, I just wanted to pop in and say, it looks beautiful! Just keep doing what you're doing, don't worry about it that much, with how it's looking now, it's bound to end up just awesome.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Ooh, I'd love to get back into doing that for fun. Back 8 years ago or so I spent a summer taking gnomon workshop classes and basically just modeling and rendering trees in 3ds max (I am a tree aficionado and grow bonsai). I'd love to get back into modeling 3d trees. Haven't used anything like that in a few years though.

Guild Expert

I started working on another building tonight. I originally wanted it to have a copper roof, but when I failed at that I started fiddling around with the colour adjustments, and came up with this instead. I'm not sure the gold edging has any real purpose, maybe rain gutters or something, but they sure are fun to paint.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City District 13 new building test.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	7.25 MB 
ID:	92210

Trees? Did I really say that? Oh I'm just hopeless! No - I meant cheese... or whatever takes your fancy with z-brush

People would be nice, yes - and some of these fantastic Atlantean buildings your building on your plot there.

Very nice work with the painting - which bodes well for future Z-brush results

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

That is one gorgeous map you are making for our illustrious Guild City. I'm glad you are still working on it.

I would just love to stand over your shoulder and watch you paint that gold edging, you work is amazing and your sketching ability is so beautiful, wish I could draw naturally like that. Keep it up looks great!!!

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast