Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 05 - Nantara'Ďendel District [Ilanthar]

Krita is nicer than GIMP, but it doesn't handle large images as well

You know that pattern identifying thing I have, where I see animals in the coastline shapes and major features of some maps?

No - don't panic! There aren't any animals in your map

Its just that I see other stuff as well - more useful stuff that I don't usually bother to mention, but I thought I might just this once.

I know its just a coincidence of the paper texture and the shading of the water as it stands, but in the pattern of tones I can already see underwater boulders, as if this was a photograph of a real place and you had just added a blank white layer above the water and made it just a little transparent.

When I see stuff like that in my own maps I use it to make the boulders/mountains/rifts - whatever I see there, become real.

I am just curious to know if you can see the same things.

This is terrifying. That bridge looks really high judging by the shadow.

The shadows are really well rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post

Unfortunately I set the hight, since Ilanthar made it to match my map . And I made it that high so I'd have a lot of cliff real estate to put stuff on in my map.

By Mouse
    Krita is nicer than GIMP, but it doesn't handle large images as well
    Agree. My main problem is F**** Windows 10, though ("Creators Fall Update" is indeed a fall for the artists... It's eating away 30 to 50 percent of my 4 Go RAM ! ). And my computer not being powerful enough. Hopefully, I'm gonna change soon for a better PC with Win10 (for a few softwares) and Linux (for all the rest).

No - don't panic! There aren't any animals in your map
    Not yet ! I do intend to put Wally and maybe some other things here and there.

Not sure to follow you about the waters. I did add a layer for the shallow waters (and I intend to add some scum near the cliff and the bridge). Here is the file without the later :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nantara Iendel wwe.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	101931
    By Azelor
    Thanks! It is high, indeed . For the shadows, it's mainly thanks to sketchup. I'll have to add some more anyway, for what I will add.

By Falconius
    Unfortunately I set the hight, since Ilanthar made it to match my map . And I made it that high so I'd have a lot of cliff real estate to put stuff on in my map.
    Why Unfortunately? I kinda like it that way . And I added a slight slope from the edge to the top of the district.

And the current state, with the water effects. I'm having some hard time with some of my damn roofs, I must say.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nantara Iendel.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	101932

You are not alone with your rage at MS and their ridiculously pompous attitude that their precious OS is simply so important that it should be allowed to render the more modest machine pretty pointless. I am glad that one of us at least can escape to a larger machine, and only wish that I could follow suit. And I will, if I can ever afford it.

In my blacker moments it sometimes seems to me that MS are joining forces with certain graphics app companies (PS in particular) who seem determined to make it so that only the rich can afford to be artistic or creative - as if the poor (and I count myself as poor) have no right to possess or use such a talent.

*Mouse steps down from the soap box*

I like the tall cliff as well - more dramatic - more of a 'wow'. Don't worry about the rocks I see. I know from your answer that what I see is just a peculiarity all of my own

I think I'm going to use Sketchup to figure out the remaining shadows.
    I might redo the whole district in 3D.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Agree. My main problem is F**** Windows 10, though ("Creators Fall Update" is indeed a fall for the artists... It's eating away 30 to 50 percent of my 4 Go RAM ! ). And my computer not being powerful enough. Hopefully, I'm gonna change soon for a better PC with Win10 (for a few softwares) and Linux (for all the rest).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You are not alone with your rage at MS and their ridiculously pompous attitude that their precious OS is simply so important that it should be allowed to render the more modest machine pretty pointless. I am glad that one of us at least can escape to a larger machine, and only wish that I could follow suit. And I will, if I can ever afford it.
    Just to share my experience. I have been building my own PCs for over 20 years. In all that time I have needed three operating systems - Windows NT, XP and 7. I (first heard in the 1990s) then found on my own that only about 1 in 3-4 windows OS is necessary or optimal.

The three Windows OS I used I never had any major problems that people that have used other windows versions like Vista or 10 I have heard about. You can usually buy OEM operating systems for only about $99 when new and you can get Windows 7 now for $20-40 iirc. I've been on Windows 7 for seven years now and never had any need to even think of upgrading to 10. I really see no point in getting 10.
    I'll probably still be on Windows 7 until 2020 I am guessing. Also there are some websites that show you how to tweak all your windows settings if you don't like whatever weird defaults new updates have.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane View Post
    Just to share my experience. I have been building my own PCs for over 20 years. In all that time I have needed three operating systems - Windows NT, XP and 7. I (first heard in the 1990s) then found on my own that only about 1 in 3-4 windows OS is necessary or optimal.

The three Windows OS I used I never had any major problems that people that have used other windows versions like Vista or 10 I have heard about. You can usually buy OEM operating systems for only about $99 when new and you can get Windows 7 now for $20-40 iirc. I've been on Windows 7 for seven years now and never had any need to even think of upgrading to 10. I really see no point in getting 10.
    I'll probably still be on Windows 7 until 2020 I am guessing. Also there are some websites that show you how to tweak all your windows settings if you don't like whatever weird defaults new updates have.
    My story is almost identical.
    The thing is... they will force you [and me] off of win7. And then where to go?
    I absolutely will not have my main unit be win10, where they have all the say on what gets done and when.
    Nope.

Thanks for your views, everyone!

@Mouse : I'm not surprise a lot of people are upset... This last update was the step-too-far for me... And yeah, you have to need money AND knowledges about IT stuffs, which is really not normal. To be frank, that next computer is gonna be a gift for my birthday+christmas. I don't have much resources as well...

@Southern Crane : Well, I got Win10 because I couldn't support Win8 anymore (and I didn't chose that one)...
    Good points though, I'm gonna have a builded one, next, so I didn't thought about it, but yeah why not asking for Linux/Windows 7 (which was correct & fonctionnal if I remember well) - if that's possible.

@J.Edward : you're absolutely true. I'm growing more and more angry about those big companies which are turning our computers into terminals and which are trying to control everything... The free will is gonna be replaced by the "free product but no choices because the product is you"... Hopefully, there are some rebels that are still working to developp alternative solutions.

@Azelor : that would be awesome! I've just done the basic shapes for the shadows and it's very time consuming, though.

Blog Entries

I never needed to go beyond WinXP myself tho my work insisted that I use a PC with Win7 on it a long time ago. I would say now tho that I think windows holds me back whenever I am on it. I find the ease of use on Linux to be better than windows but its not quite as fluffy UI as windows. But on linux when you ask it to do something it does it. So right now I am typing this on a windows machine but I use a load of different OS's - too many to count - at least 10. Of that I have 3 windows machines. A win 2K, Win XP and a Win 7 one. No Win 10 for me. Of those I think XP was the best 7 is fine, Win2K was also fine but is showing its age now with lack of hardware support. But even my Win7 machine lacks support for some things and is a pain to get some stuff working on. On linux there are also some other things I have some issues with too but generally I find it is the most up to date of them all. It is definitely faster than windows but its down side is that the free apps like say Gimp and Krita are just a bit less stable, buggy and not quite as polished as the windows apps. However the linux OS including the kernel is far better than windows. The networking support on linux knocks windows out of the park and thats an important factor for me. Not least to log into this guild server which is linux and do remote admin it would be a nightmare on windows.

The small boards you can buy now which run linux are ridiculously cheap. I just had two more arrive in the post the other day. Quad core and $13 US each. For $20 you can get 1Gb ram, accelerated video graphics, gigabit ethernet, wifi the whole nine yards. Prob not enough memory for doing big images but for about $150 or Ł120 I could put together something which could - but only under linux.

Cost is not the issue any more. You can buy a working full but limited speed PC for Ł4 + an SD card (Ł5). So < $15 US easy. Just fear of the dark is all that is holding you back.

I am seriously considering re-releasing my ViewingDale where it comes preconfigured *with the PC to run it on* so that there is no compatibility issues with it any more. Thats how cheap they are. You use it as a boxed appliance instead of an software application.

You do have a choice.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast