Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 05 - Nantara'Ďendel District [Ilanthar]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I never needed to go beyond WinXP myself tho my work insisted that I use a PC with Win7 on it a long time ago. I would say now tho that I think windows holds me back whenever I am on it. I find the ease of use on Linux to be better than windows but its not quite as fluffy UI as windows. But on linux when you ask it to do something it does it. So right now I am typing this on a windows machine but I use a load of different OS's - too many to count - at least 10. Of that I have 3 windows machines. A win 2K, Win XP and a Win 7 one. No Win 10 for me. Of those I think XP was the best 7 is fine, Win2K was also fine but is showing its age now with lack of hardware support. But even my Win7 machine lacks support for some things and is a pain to get some stuff working on. On linux there are also some other things I have some issues with too but generally I find it is the most up to date of them all. It is definitely faster than windows but its down side is that the free apps like say Gimp and Krita are just a bit less stable, buggy and not quite as polished as the windows apps. However the linux OS including the kernel is far better than windows. The networking support on linux knocks windows out of the park and thats an important factor for me. Not least to log into this guild server which is linux and do remote admin it would be a nightmare on windows.

The small boards you can buy now which run linux are ridiculously cheap. I just had two more arrive in the post the other day. Quad core and $13 US each. For $20 you can get 1Gb ram, accelerated video graphics, gigabit ethernet, wifi the whole nine yards. Prob not enough memory for doing big images but for about $150 or Ł120 I could put together something which could - but only under linux.

Cost is not the issue any more. You can buy a working full but limited speed PC for Ł4 + an SD card (Ł5). So < $15 US easy. Just fear of the dark is all that is holding you back.

I am seriously considering re-releasing my ViewingDale where it comes preconfigured *with the PC to run it on* so that there is no compatibility issues with it any more. Thats how cheap they are. You use it as a boxed appliance instead of an software application.

You do have a choice.

Windows 10 is pretty upsetting in many ways. But I actually like it in terms of the way it handles. I did turn off all the telemetry garbage though and do run an anti-telemetry program to keep it all off. Also I have a computer that can handle it. That said, if I could realistically run all the programs I want on Linux, I would.

I think I may have to restart my city section though. It was ok before when I stalled along with all my neighbors , but now?

I will have my new computer tomorrow, and I'm confident I'm gonna use mostly Linux with it.

Anyway, here are some baby steps (mainly tiles & roofs).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nantara Iendel.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	102023

That must be a lot of work. I mean, I did a lot of details on the map but rarely long straight lines like that. It take a lot of concentration.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

As the old Chinese proverb says : « wait for a long time and you’ll become patient ! »

Great stuff !

By Azelor
    That must be a lot of work. I mean, I did a lot of details on the map but rarely long straight lines like that. It take a lot of concentration.
    Not that much. I mean, I'm kinda used to it now. Plus, I found a position that allows me to do it in a way that suits me (a move from bottom left to top right with something like a 60° angle, I think).

By - Jo -
    As the old Chinese proverb says : « wait for a long time and you’ll become patient ! »
    Great stuff !
    Hehe, thanks! I'm usually of the patient kind... except for a few things

A bit more

Views:	45 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	102079

I'm wondering what to do with some glass covered atrium (the dark gray zones of some roofs, here and there). I'm not fond of how they looks right now... I'll probably draw something under, but not sure it's a good thing to keep them this way.
    Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Not that much. I mean, I'm kinda used to it now. Plus, I found a position that allows me to do it in a way that suits me (a move from bottom left to top right with something like a 60° angle, I think).

Hehe, thanks! I'm usually of the patient kind... except for a few things

A bit more

Views:	45 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	102079

I'm wondering what to do with some glass covered atrium (the dark gray zones of some roofs, here and there). I'm not fond of how they looks right now... I'll probably draw something under, but not sure it's a good thing to keep them this way.
    Any idea?
    You could draw the glass panels, give the glass some opacity but not too much. The glass could be dirty so we see there is something below but we can't see clearly.
    If the glass is clean, you'll have to include something, wooden floor or something.
    Or you can go with opaque glass.

All the details are so delicate and beautiful. It is as if you stroke the lines into existence rather than draw them.

I really like the idea of the glass atriums. If you do them and they work it will be great. And if they don't? Well - you learn something new

Great style Ilanthar, reminds me one of your previous map. It'll be beautifull with coloration. I'll Keep an eye on this good work.
    Cheers.

By Azelor
    You could draw the glass panels, give the glass some opacity but not too much. The glass could be dirty so we see there is something below but we can't see clearly.
    If the glass is clean, you'll have to include something, wooden floor or something.
    Thanks for those suggestions! I won't go for opaque glass. Right now, I tried some drawings at half opacity. I guess I'm gonna be able to play on shadings later.

By Warlin
    Great style Ilanthar, reminds me one of your previous map. It'll be beautifull with coloration. I'll Keep an eye on this good work.
    Thanks, Warlin! I don't remember to do a city map in this style before, so I'm curious to know which map you were thinking about.

Just a tad more. I'm also testing some base colors, it's without shading and additional details. I've picked a color close to the one Falconius chose for the land & cliff.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	34 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	102110

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast