Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 - Yet Unnamed [DanielHasenbos]

Hmmmn... I think the ice theory is probably true in temperate climes, but there wouldn't be any ice here I don't think?

There may have been millions of years ago - tectonics doing tectonicky things may have tectonicked things about a bit But then there'd be a fair bit more erosion since then. I think the last glacial max to reach the equator was something like half a billion years ago. Barring the high altitude glaciers of course. I think there's still one on Kilimanjaro isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    If there isn't an Assassin's Guild somewhere in this city, I'm going to be very disappointed.... (hint, hint)
    I kinda got something in that style ...

Blog Entries

Howdy neighbour !

I am not sure what I am doing in my section yet but I think ill let you map your side of the wall and ill match up with it. I expect at the end of my closed in wall bit ill have some kind of gatehouse / barbican with a view to defending the water. with ballistae.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Howdy neighbour !

I am not sure what I am doing in my section yet but I think ill let you map your side of the wall and ill match up with it. I expect at the end of my closed in wall bit ill have some kind of gatehouse / barbican with a view to defending the water. with ballistae.
    Sounds good. I have mapped the wall bit. I'm not sure if you were going to draw the wall as well, but for now I have drawn it on the map.

So here my latest version. I have tripled the size of the map and started to draw in some buildings. Mostly to get a feel for the style I'm going for, since this is my first top-down city map. I've also started to lay out the rest of the district. I'm not a star at urban planning, so any comments and critique are welcome! Let me know you thoughts!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City 2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	91100

-Dan
    Last edited by DanielHasenbos; 01-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Looks great. Keep in mind Redrobes is using the brown border as the mask so you might want to edge the wall towers on the NE border back a bit. I'm not sure if one can draw on the line itself or not though.

Blog Entries

I was thinking of maybe putting more wall my side and / or having some bastions on my side. So might be best to map the top of the wall right up to the line (and a smidge over the line) in this case and not attempt to draw the front face of the wall at all. Then I can match up with that and do the front face in my area. Would be much easier than having detail right on the border which might get lost as part of the sector clipping. The wall needs to be about 20' thick anyway so we can have 10' each side of the sector boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I was thinking of maybe putting more wall my side and / or having some bastions on my side. So might be best to map the top of the wall right up to the line (and a smidge over the line) in this case and not attempt to draw the front face of the wall at all. Then I can match up with that and do the front face in my area. Would be much easier than having detail right on the border which might get lost as part of the sector clipping. The wall needs to be about 20' thick anyway so we can have 10' each side of the sector boundary.
    Alright, 10' each it is then. I'll move the wall slightly over the border in the next update so you can work from there (:

Blog Entries

Cool that sounds like a plan !
    In general, for everybody, its not a good idea to have mapping detail running along a sector edge. There is bound to be some mismatch between peoples maps and the mask I make to 'cut' them out. Best is to have some texture or something that goes over the line and then where its 'cut' is not too important.

I guess I need to be careful about where I put my trees, or there will be half oaks all over the place!

This is looking much better planned than my area, Daniel. I wish I had started with a street plan. It would have cut out a lot of messing around in the early stages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast