Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 - The Water Merchants [Redrobes]

It looks great so far Redrobes! Do you have a market yet? I was thinking of putting the Grand Water Market around where our district overlap. Also, what's your district generally like? Sort of like a warehouse district, right? Just asking to check how it might influence my district (:

-Dan

Blog Entries

No I dont have a market yet. I have that yard where wagons / carts roll in and fill up but I was thinking that these carts would be driven by the water merchants themselves and they have an order book. So not like a retail / public sort of meeting place. As you can see I have made it quite secure and the merchants house is on private secluded ground and that the access to the whole area is a little restricted and well guarded. I reckon the merchants have strong links to the thieves guild either to keep them on their side or maybe he is a high ranking member and gets some shady wet work done for him to keep a monopoly.

His main client is the city supplying barrels for the city militia / council and is probably quite well paid for that job. So his site is situated just across the road to that gatehouse behind which is the courtyard and barbican area underneath which are thousands of barrels of water in very secure storage.

Given there are so many carts and barrels there is an on site smithy just below the courtyard with his house below that next to the road. It may have several smiths there but you get the idea. So stables, horses, farrier, barrels, wheels, and carts all being serviced or supplied from that place.

Above the yard there is a missing bit of wall over hanging the water below. I am going to put some cranes in there. There is a patch of stony ground top right and that will be a hut which is an access point to stone stairs carved out of the rock going down below to a cave entrance half way down the cliff face. In there is some mechanisms leading out to an axle which will mount a big water wheel which will sit between the main cliff face and that small pillar of rock. The water wheel will provide power which I reckon will be used to pump / lift water up the cliff face. So I am planning on having a large tank of water which is being continuously supplied by a stream of water pulled up from below.

In terms of terrain I am keeping it dry and muddy with gravel or pebble roads where vegetation doesnt grow too well. Then in places where they have tubs or set features it will be fed water and then it will blossom into lush and vibrant vegetation. So some patches of bordered grass and trees and flowers like you might find in a botanical garden.

Thats my aim. I discovered that my section is about 300m square including outside of the masked section border so its not all that large.

I can change almost anything on my map as its all dynamically created from a script. Its not like a paint package bitmap being drawn. So you just map the wall and anything else you want to do at the borders and I will modify mine and match up to it no problem.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-15-2017 at 10:27 AM.

I think what with the availability of water in various parts of the city you might need a USP for your particular water. Our alchemists and herbalists may have a thing or two that keep your punters coming back for more.

Blog Entries

USP ?

Although there are many points where you can get water and presumably for free most people would not have the time to keep fetching water and they would probably want it on tap (barrel tap). Also, if the supply of water is variable then there is a need to store a certain amount.

The merchants would not be adding expensive herbs to the water. Whilst they are making a lot of profit I still think that each barrel of water still needs to be cheap because of the freely available alternative sources. Of course the wagonmasters might carry some extra pouches of materials with them to sell in addition to the water.

Another WIP:

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	91347  

I think we're going to be pretty desperate for your water as drinking water, considering the amount of pollution coming from upstream in the other direction - bone fragments and fingernails included by the sound of it!

Maybe you could do different flavour waters with herbs and fruit juices added, as well as plain good old fashioned clean clear water?

USP = Unique Selling Point.

I was thinking some sort of additive that may make certain barrels, perhaps premium barrels, a bit 'special'. Something that may make certain customers keep running back for more. And more...

Blog Entries

I dig the idea but just not as an additive to water. Do you recall in the UK the ice cream vans were selling more than just ice creams back in the 80's ? I think that kind of idea sounds like something my guys might be into. I reckon they pay off the guild enough that maybe some of the barrel runners are tea leaves themselves. I could also see the occasion to smuggle the odd person in an empty barrel and passing messages between clients as they do the rounds. Lots of scope to make an extra dime.

Nice ! I particularly like the way your render of the waters.

The alchemists are working on obtaining a reliable source of ammonia from liquid waste. Perhaps if the engineers up in 39 can work their magic on compressors, between us we may be able to provide you with sufficient refrigeration to solidify your liquid assets. Gin just doesn't seem right without ice

Blog Entries

I'll reply to comments in a mo but ill just upload my new WIP.

I have been working on getting the roofs tiled and also managed to get a garden flowers texture going and filled out the merchants garden. I also moved the wall a bit to the left in the bottom right after I noticed that it didnt line up with my neighbours wall very well. Hopefully this will sort it out.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section30.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	620.3 KB 
ID:	91510  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast