Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 - The Water Merchants [Redrobes]

Blog Entries

Default 30 - The Water Merchants [Redrobes]

My section number is 30 and so my neighbours will be:

18: Daniel
    20: ???
    32: The Hoarse Whisperer - over the top industrial contraptions with smoke etc
    33: Water only - Southern Crane
    34: Water only - eViLe_eAgLe maybe ?
    35: Water only - a.coldyham
    37: Jalerym

So first thing is to link to their threads here and have a read about what everyone is going to do.

I can see that the wall has moved from this image to the high res version ! So better get my app out soon and piece it all back together to get an idea what I have to butt up against.

Might as well get myself on the thumbs board...
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neighbours.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	90985  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-27-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Wow! Looks like you might just have the greatest number of neighbours in the whole city!

I wouldn't let them push you around though. You have an ideal position to affect all of them by putting something there they are all going to need... though I'm not quite sure what that would be...

Blog Entries

Well, now that you ask.... I have decided what it is that everybody will need and I think this looks like the perfect place to get it.

My area will be the water merchants.
    The majority of my area will be fairly open plan with a lot of storage and wearhousing for many barrels. I have decided that the land here is flat and that the drop to the water is steep. At the edge will be some large wooded cranes which will lower and raise barrels to the water flow at the bottom. Then these are filled, stoppered and stored. You buy barrels of water and get a refund on the returned empty barrels. This particular merchant delivers water since some of the people in the city would not have access to water directly and in any case might not want the effort of lugging barrels about. It may also go to businesses like those in agriculture away from the underground water channels which allows them to grow some crops and sell them. So I think water would be a kind of commodity like oil is in our world. Pretty much everything around would need plenty of it.

So a more industrial sector than most with large buildings and piled up barrels.

The wall juts out into my sector and that must be for a reason. I think that section of the wall would have a water storage facility for the soldiers which man the battlements. In case of seige and as a general hedge against a particularly dry spell when the rivers stop flowing as much as normal. Therefore, I think the wall there has the storage underneath which must be fortified in itsefl and as such, would have a large flat topped barbican. On this barbican would be some ballistae to protect the well and a fortified entrance to the courtyard to load and unload barrels. I think I might put a round bastion / tower on the top left corner of the wall too since it is a strongly fortified point of the wall. Whether it needs a large road behind the wall is not quite so important with this idea in mind as in general use you would be taking single barrels out of the storage as required.

Edit: Some more thoughts.
    I know my neighbour THW / Azelor has some shady stuff going on down in his sector so I could imagine that this merchant could be skimming a small percentage of his profits for protection from water thieves. So theres some lucrative deal that could be going on there.

I am not sure what the mound like an island is. If the walls are steep then it seems to me that its a rock pillar. In which case the channels left and right of it must have faster water flow and would be ideal for water wheel or some power generation. That pillar might also be a point to have some bridges across the gap too. Not sure.

Oh and P.S. I fixed up the zoom map of GuildWorld to GuildCity so have a look and see if it all works for you. The GuildCity zoom map is a little sparce at this point. Its not going to get much attention until we have much more finalized WIPs made. I will do a full map at some point tho. But its too early to see that at this point.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-11-2017 at 01:44 PM.

So basically, there are tunnels running under the city wall into TWH district and then it goes up the waterway. We now have an exit route out of the city!

Yes trafficking can be lucrative. Like selling jars of water on the black market.

I have a water tower (a purifying tower that supplies my ward) but I can see plenty of occasions when I might need to buy in extra - like when I need to do maintenance on the tower, since I only have space for one in my little patch of water

Great idea, Red.

Blog Entries

I made a start. Its a bit rough and I have only had an hour or so on it but the process is underway. Like the first step in a long walk thats the hardest one.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	91181  

Getting the ground colours in is always a good first step

Blog Entries

A bit more work on the textures of the water and rocks around the cliff edge.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	31 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	91189  

Blog Entries

I thought that if people were going to worry about shadows then I had better do it in 3D. I like doing the 3D work but its normally terrain so having a go at some buildings. At the mo the texture on the buildings is wrong but I will probably go with clay tiles. I figure that there would be plenty of clay around and we have no end of lime to make a concrete. Trying to avoid a lot of wood at this point.

I have the round towers in now and the barbican. The water merchant is obviously very wealthy so has the mansion overlooking the water top right. He is also close to the steps down to the water wheel and his yard. In front of the yard is a blacksmith / wheelwright / cartwright / farrier type person who has the large lower house. There is also the cart yard and stable block. I figured that since these people are all wealthy then they ought to be in a gated community so the wall has been extended to the chasm. Would be crazy not to make use of the natural landscape if your putting in a dirty great big wall.

Will probably get some more smaller houses in but much of the area below the mansion will be gardens - probably fruit ones. I figure if water is so scarce and this chap has tons of it then I figure fresh fruit would also be a luxury, So like the hanging gardens of Babylon this is a rich and lush garden in a desert fed by his water. And it gives me a great chance to get some much needed greenery into the area.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	54 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	91303  

Looking great Redrobes

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast