Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 01 - Supreme residence of the August Grandmaster of Guild City [tonnichiwa]

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default 01 - Supreme residence of the August Grandmaster of Guild City [tonnichiwa]

Ok, so no overwhelming story yet for this map but at least I have it loaded and getting prepared to start.

The whole map is 1,375 feet from North to South, and 1090 feet from East to West.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City Castle.PNG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	90990  

Well, I've got part of the waterways done. I haven't turned on any of the effects yet so this is just the base water with depth added.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guild City Castle 02.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	814.5 KB 
ID:	90999  

This looks interesting, Tonnichwa

Ok, I've done some elevations and some shadows for the really steep parts. Again, I haven't turned on any of the effects so it doesn't really look like much yet.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guild City Castle.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	91011  

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's nice !

I'll try to do the water the same (well, I'll do my best...) to avoid a too big difference.

Did you use CC3+ for the textures ?

Jo - don't try that too hard just now with matching the water. I think you may have to wait until Tonnichiwa turns on the effects. They can change quite a lot about the colour and texture of the water - and since I'm here making a comment, yes it is a CC3 map

Looking great Tonnichiwa!

Thanks Jo!, and thanks Mouse!

Yeah, I used CC3 for the textures. I'm going to try to blend the whole thing together so that all of those shadows and elevations come alive with one click of a button. If I can pull it off they should blend together nicely. Or at least give the illusion of it. The shadows look very tricky so I'm keeping my eye on them to see what happens with every subtle change. To get the effects I want I have had to put everything on different Sheets (layers for Photoshop/Gimp users) and I will be adding separate effects to each Sheet to hopefully get each texture to bend to my will.

The shadows may have to be thinned down a bit to get the effect I am looking for. I may have made the shadows a bit too wide. I guess we'll see when I get it all built. If they are too big I can just hide all of the Sheets except for the land and the shadow Sheets, then make them more thin, and turn everything back on again. Doing that won't affect anything else in the map so it should be a lot of fun figuring this out.

And like Mouse said, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to match my water right now. It can drastically change just from turning on the effects. I want the water to blend much more than this so the final effect makes it so you can barely tell where the different depth textures merge.

If you are going to use Edge Fade Inner to blend those contours and shadows together, then you will need the polygons larger than they are intended because you lose quite a lot off the edge with the fade. I should know LOL! - Merelan City was built the very same way
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-10-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks for letting me know Mouse. Is your process for doing so in your Merelan City thread?

Funnily enough I just recently went over the process of adding the relief shading for another user over on the Profantasy forum. The Merelan City thread over here at the Guild is way too long and convoluted to even bother searching for it here, and I can't even send you the file so you can pull it apart for yourself, because most of the fills and symbols are my own and would not appear in the map at your end.

What I can do, if you like (and if you give me a couple of minutes) is add a comment on how I did it right here?

Yes... No...?
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-10-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast