Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Town Icon Tips?

Default Any Town Icon Tips?

Hi everyone! I'm planning to do some city icons for my commission map I'm working on (Eastmott) but I'm not too great at them because I have not done them too much before.

The sort of icon is something like you might find on one of Max's maps, a sort of miniture stylized version of a city:

From one of Max's maps (NOT MINE):

I was wondering if anyone would like to walk me through their process for making icons like these, just to shed a bit of light on it. If not I'll just have to soldier through. Thanks!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hey Josiah, i cannot guide you myself through this process, but i think this great mini-tutorial by Djekspek might help you out. Torstan did a similar iso city icon tutorial too i think... give me a second...
    EDIT: Ok.. got it!
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...=16819&page=12
    It's post 117 (oO) a bit down the page... Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 01-09-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Josiah, i cannot guide you myself through this process, but i think this great mini-tutorial by Djekspek might help you out. Torstan did a similar iso city icon tutorial too i think... give me a second...
    EDIT: Ok.. got it!
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...=16819&page=12
    It's post 117 (oO) a bit down the page... Hope it helps.
    Thanks Abu! I have seen those, and they are definitely helpful. But I still can't quite get it. It's a little frustrating! I see it, I know what I have to do... but it's just so hard! I really suck with perspective stuff. I think I just need more practice.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    What Martin said and here's a source for grid and doted paper plus a little help on perspective :

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
    http://blog.trilemma.com/2016/09/iso...al-videos.html
    http://blog.trilemma.com/2016/11/sho...nt-people.html
    Thanks for those resources Thomrey. I'll have to take a look at them.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Use a picture, trace the main lines un red on a layer, drop the opacity to 30%, work your magic on the top layer

Hey Joshiah,

In Djekspek's mini-tutorial he also mentions something about checking the silhouette. I find that city icons look best when the general silhouette is roughly the shape of an isometrically drawn house. I don't know if there is any 'science' concerning this subject, but it's just something I noticed.

These are some icons I have drawn. The red lines show what I mean with the silhouette.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	91014

Perhaps that might be helpful.

-Dan

This is very informative thread, i would love to learn too how to make nice and proper icons. DanielHasenbos, unfortunately i dont get that silouette. What that suppose to mean? This ? If yes how is that related to those nice iso buildings, i dont get anything from that red outlie :/

I meant the outline of the icons when I said silhouette. All the icons have a similar outline as shown with the red shapes. Slightly odd choice of words perhaps. Djekspek used that word in the tutorial I was referring to so I figured I'd do so too, to avoid confusion (and I failed! D: haha)

-Dan

Hmm, still... what about the outline? The thickness? or you mean shape of whole image always forms triangle?

This is what i could do paint in quickly. I seem to fail choosing right brush for that. Are you using default hard brush ? Also how are you people draw straight lines with tablet i never know. Especially diagonal lines are my weakness, i always make a curve.

Name:  icon_resize.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  16.7 KB

The roof of your front building (the part at the back) is missing, to avoid these problems, use a doted background for iso drawing. A link is provided in a previous comment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast