Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 03 - Atlas Ward [Mouse]

Default 03 - Atlas Ward [Mouse]

Well, this might be prime waterfront territory, but the citizens of Guild City agreed long ago to dedicate this block area to all the orphaned and abandoned maplings of the city, regardless of their breed, creed, or social origin

Atlas Ward was originally the little village of Atlas. You can see the old heart of the ward near the lake.

To fund their philanthropic intentions the people of Atlas set up an arena, which though it takes up much of the space has kept the citizens of Atlas Ward and all the orphans very well.

The Compass Rose is a tavern built about the same time as the arena. Its a popular meeting place for people strolling along the waterfront, and has an excellent menu.

No prizes for guessing which way most of the paths lead off the main route!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 03 base map.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,001.2 KB 
ID:	90936

Neighbouring districts:

02 - Winden Gardens [GLS]
    04 - not yet allocated
    08 - Mossbank [Meshon] (water only)
    15 - not yet allocated
    24 - not yet allocated
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-12-2017 at 09:38 AM.

First properly mapped version

The roads and water are in, and the base rock is chosen and adjusted - looking hopefully really quite 'limestone'

I've added a vague idea of cliff shading. We'll see how it goes.

The roads might look wide, but in reality to scale they are only 8 feet wide, which is just about the width of a decent horse and cart with bulging load - and that's only one way.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V01.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	90955

Onto this I will add the buildings, and then between them and the rock a sheet of dirt/dust/sand and also one of vegetation.

Looking around town I can see that I'm about the only one doing a 'nice' area of town.

Ah well. Someone's got to do it

Guild Expert

That texture's pretty neat, and of course you're water looks great as always, I was hoping you'd do a section with at least a tiny bit of water because you always do it so well. And don't worry you won't be the only nice part of town, I was starting to feel a bit lonely in that regard.

Thanks Kacey

Looks like us girls will have to stick together on this one! LOL!

I see from yours and J.Edward's neighbourhoods that I will have to widen my roads just a bit. I'm a little concerned over the space issue here, but I can't have just 8 foot wide roads when everyone else in the posh bit of town has a set of grand avenues!

How wide would you say yours and John's are on average?

I am trying for my main roads to be an average of about 3 squares or so [12-15 feet] as I figured wagons would be around 6 feet or so wide and thus 2 on a road passing each other... with some space.
    On a smaller alley sort of road I figured something more like 6-10 feet wide. Just enough for people and a single wagon.

My area might be old and cramped, but it will have nice stuff, sort of.
    I have some plans for some locations, but not sure if they will all be in this section or if I will use some in a second sections later.

Thanks John

I'll update mine later and load another WIP - hopefully with a bit more indication of what's going to be where

I have only uploaded a relatively small version of the image just now, because there's really not all that much to see yet, but I'm thinking of following your lead and going for 4 x final size once there's something worth looking at (I think I remember reading 4 x on your thread, but I will check again later).

Pretty please can someone change the name of my thread to "Atlas Arena and the Compass Rose"

Thank you so much

No prob.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Excellent!

Thank you ChickPea

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

That is looking really nice.

I find it interesting to see how differently everyone approaches their area: Divide into sections, outlining paths and houses, and now mouse with building from literally the ground up. I love it.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast