Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

Lots of interesting shapes and curious objects appearing now. I can see this one becoming a map that people can pour over

And no need to apologise for having no time! I think most of us are in the same boat

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    (...)and curious objects appearing now.
    I'm curious about what you see as "curious"...

Ah ha! Now that would be telling!

But seriously - I'm intrigued. What is that line and circle arrangement extending from the north side of one of the buildings? Is it a well with a pipe leading to the house? There are all other kinds of fascinating things starting to appear. All these are things that make people really look at a map - trying to work out what all the little details mean

I'm at work, waiting for a meeting, so I had 5 mins to draw this, using Paint:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raincollector.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	92710

It's a "technology" first used at the monastery and that the neighbouring houses are copying. Because the climate is prone to heavy showers and long droughts, and the ground doesn't hold moisture very well (it all seeps down to the river), the collection of rainwater into reservoirs is a plus for households.
    That's why "everybody" is doing it around here.
    (I'm not being original, the collection of rainwater into reservoirs (sometimes underground, often shaded) is very important for cities with this kind of climate - I'm thinking both Angkor in Cambodia and any Maya city in the Mexico riviera.

Aaahhh! I see now!

and you've certainly sparked off a whole new round of thinking about District 15+

I've noticed that there are lots of trees growing out of all the cracks in the karst in the south of France, however, which means the rock itself is holding plenty of water - a bit like a gigantic sponge. I think my solution to this problem (just to be different) will probably be a few bore holes and lever pumps - possibly even quite large and ox powered, given that I will need to extract plenty of water for the paper factory... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've noticed that there are lots of trees growing out of all the cracks in the karst in the south of France, however, which means the rock itself is holding plenty of water - a bit like a gigantic sponge.
    Have a second look - they'll all be drought resistant kind of trees. Slow growing, twisted trunks, small leaves... And the south of France is still pretty wet in winter and spring.

A sort of update... Getting on with both linework and shading, depending on mood, time available and whatnot. I've been quite busy with real life, but also a bit diverted to other maps. Result of all this is that nothing is really getting finished and out of the way.

Still,
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 21 _wip_07.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	93594

I reckon it will take some time before I finish both the linework proper and the shading. Alongside those tasks, I'll experiment with ground textures/lines and topographic shading - mainly in the ruins towards the south of the map. There's a long way to go, still.

Any and all comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Pixie; 03-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.

There may be a way to go yet, but what you've done is quite a lot further than before - and very impressive

That house shading is expertly done, and very correct. It must have taken most of the time so far!

Thank you and thank you. Yeah, the shading takes a little bit of time, but I'm feeling that it's an effort worth pulling. I also found that shading is mentally draining. I do a few buildings and then wonder off for a bit. And then I come back, because it's starting to look good...

and then off, and then back, and then off...
    a bit like any other addiction, I guess.

LOL! I'm nowhere near as organised. I take a break to do a world map I've been putting off for nearly a year, and before you know it I'm in a challenge, considering another one, and doing all other kinds of things in between!

So you're currently 'getting there' a lot faster than I am

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast